Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15-as129tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have already connected an external monitor using the HDMI port - works perfectly. I want to connect a 2nd monitor, and have 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C and 3 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports available. I tried an adaptor from USB Type C to HDMI - no success. Then I tried a USB Type C cable to HMDI - no success. The cable compatibility is: DisplayPort passthrough and Thunderbolt 3 ports - which is not meaningful for me. How can I find out what will work for my laptop? Thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BeaconView

As per your PC's specification, you can use only one additional monitor, also, you can use a splitter for HDMI (however, HP does not support or recommend the same).

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@BeaconView

Welcome to HP support community.

The type-c USB port on your device only supports these functions

USB 3.0 charging (powered) port Connects an optional USB device, such as a keyboard, mouse, external drive, printer, scanner, or USB hub. Standard USB ports will not charge all USB devices or will charge using a low current. Some USB devices require power and require you to use a powered port. NOTE: USB charging ports can also charge select models of cell phones and MP3 players, even when the computer is off

You can refer page no.14 in this HP document:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy, thanks for your help. Is there any other way to connect a second external monitor to my laptop?

HP Recommended

@BeaconView

You can connect the secondary monitor to the HDMI port.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy, I already have a monitor connected to the HDMI port; my problem is connecting a second external monitor. Thanks

HP Recommended

@BeaconView

As per your PC's specification, you can use only one additional monitor, also, you can use a splitter for HDMI (however, HP does not support or recommend the same).

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Sandy. It seems I will have to buy a larger screen to get the 'real estate' that 2 monitors would have provided or replace the laptop.

HP Recommended

@BeaconView

You are right, good luck,
And let us know if you need anything else.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.