Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Product#: 8NW68AV_1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've recently ordered the Spectre x360 8NW68AV_1 and I have a couple questions about upgrading ssd. I currently do not have the computer in my possession as I only ordered it a few days ago and HP has yet to ship it.

I only ordered a 256gb drive with the plan to install a 1tb myself immediately as that was cheaper route. However; I'm still a newbie and have a few questions. I do plan on activating windows 10 license and linking it to my Microsoft account first to avoid issues later.

1.) I'm eyeing down the Samsung 970 EVO Plus PCie NVMe  M.2 1tb as the upgrade, is that drive fully compatible right out of the box no adjustments needed?

2.) Which Is the easiest route for installing? Downloading the windows ISO file to a USB thumb, then swapping SSD. Then, on booting up select the thumb as the boot drive, then migrate widows to new ssd?

If so, will windows install the proper network drives on its own?

Or use a dongle/adapter to connect the new ssd and clone the stock ssd? If so which program is recommended for cloning? This is my preferred option as I could use the stock ssd as an external drive but means buying the adapter.

3.) Is there any other way to load windows os onto the new ssd with only the laptop?

4.) Is the stock ssd brand Intel? Not important just curious.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@nickellessclark I can help you with all the answers but in order that I may get you accurate descriptive responses, here's what I'll need from you:

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Also, you may go through the maintenance and service guide for details on what is and isn't compatible with your device, in the meantime, or reply with the above and I'll get you the information you need.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

And the answer to the above question will help me, help you!

Keep me posted, and if any of the above questionnaires helped resolve the issue, 

Mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".

Good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Spectre x360 - 15t Touch Laptop
Product #: 8NW68A

The product#: 8NW68AV that I included in the OG post is the product number as best as I can tell, since I don't have the laptop in hand, the receipt is all I have to go by. I know searching for that product number doesn't result in much information, that's part of my problem. Here is a link to the computer in the HP Store if that will help.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-spectre-x360-laptop-15t-touch-8nw68av-1

HP Recommended

@nickellessclark The best way to get over this concern, is to make use of the serial number, here's what I suggest, 

Send a private message with the details as we don't recommend using the same on a public post, it isn't safe.

Click here to know how the private message function works. 

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.