Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 – 15-bp108ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I plan to buy HP ENVY x360 – 15-bp108ng (8 GB) and wonder if the RAM is upgradeable or not, and if yes, how many slots (1 or 2) it has, and what is the max possible RAM configuration. I found a manual but it seem to be written for a multitude of different notebooks and just lists all possible options for all of them, without being concrete aboit specific model.

Many thanks!

Andrey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is the right service manual:

Manual

Manuals are not written for each model, they are at the model series level and in this case the manual covers 2 series; one with 7th gen processors and then yours with the 8th gen processor. 

This is the critical language for your question:

Memory Computer models with model numbers 15m-bp1xx through 15-bp1xx: Support for DDR4-2400 dual channel (8-GB DDR4 2666 SODIMM bridge to 8-GB DDR4 2400 1.2v SODIMM) One SODIMM memory module slot, non-customer-accessible/non-upgradable Support for 4-GB on-board system memory (512-MB×16×4pieces) Supports up to 16-GB of system memory in the following conƭgurations ● 16384-MB (16384-MB × 1; 16-GB DDR4 2666 SODIMM bridge to 16-GB DDR4 2400 1.2v SODIMM; only available on computer models equipped with an Intel i7 processor and a graphics subsystem with UMA memory) ● 12288-MB (8192-MB + 4096-MB on-board system memory [512-MB×16×4 pieces]; 8-GB DDR4 2666 SODIMM bridge to 8-GB DDR4 2400 1.2v SODIMM; not available on computer models equipped with an Intel i7 processor and a graphics subsystem with discrete memory)

Then we look at the specs for your model (the one you want to buy):

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05824462

It has an i5-8th gen processor and 4 gb dedicated video memory so it appears your max memory is 12 gigs...4 gigs "onboard" i.e. soldered on permanently and then one slot in which you can place up to an 8 gig module of DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM. It would come from the factory with a 4 gig module in the slot. 

I cannot guarantee it but believe you could install a single 16 gig module and it would disable the onboard 4 gigs and you would have 16 gigs total. Personally I would spend my money on a PCIe/NVME M.2 disk before buying any more memory. The performance enhancement from such a disk far outstrips anything you can do with memory. Likely you can configure it with an M.2 disk in addition to or in lieu of the 7200 rpm mechanical drive your model is specced to have. 

Good luck and post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is your answer. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

This is the right service manual:

Manual

Manuals are not written for each model, they are at the model series level and in this case the manual covers 2 series; one with 7th gen processors and then yours with the 8th gen processor. 

This is the critical language for your question:

Memory Computer models with model numbers 15m-bp1xx through 15-bp1xx: Support for DDR4-2400 dual channel (8-GB DDR4 2666 SODIMM bridge to 8-GB DDR4 2400 1.2v SODIMM) One SODIMM memory module slot, non-customer-accessible/non-upgradable Support for 4-GB on-board system memory (512-MB×16×4pieces) Supports up to 16-GB of system memory in the following conƭgurations ● 16384-MB (16384-MB × 1; 16-GB DDR4 2666 SODIMM bridge to 16-GB DDR4 2400 1.2v SODIMM; only available on computer models equipped with an Intel i7 processor and a graphics subsystem with UMA memory) ● 12288-MB (8192-MB + 4096-MB on-board system memory [512-MB×16×4 pieces]; 8-GB DDR4 2666 SODIMM bridge to 8-GB DDR4 2400 1.2v SODIMM; not available on computer models equipped with an Intel i7 processor and a graphics subsystem with discrete memory)

Then we look at the specs for your model (the one you want to buy):

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05824462

It has an i5-8th gen processor and 4 gb dedicated video memory so it appears your max memory is 12 gigs...4 gigs "onboard" i.e. soldered on permanently and then one slot in which you can place up to an 8 gig module of DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM. It would come from the factory with a 4 gig module in the slot. 

I cannot guarantee it but believe you could install a single 16 gig module and it would disable the onboard 4 gigs and you would have 16 gigs total. Personally I would spend my money on a PCIe/NVME M.2 disk before buying any more memory. The performance enhancement from such a disk far outstrips anything you can do with memory. Likely you can configure it with an M.2 disk in addition to or in lieu of the 7200 rpm mechanical drive your model is specced to have. 

Good luck and post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is your answer. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, see http://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2WB10EA&opt=ABD&sel=NTB

The product info page shows no SSD, but the HP Store claims it has one. The product nr is P/N: 2WB10EA #ABD.

Anyway, I need more RAM because I run multiple Eclipse sessions in debugger etc, and with my current NB I'm exact at 8 GB limit all the time. The idea with a single 16 GB module is interesting one, have you tried this already in some NB, or is this just a guess?

HP Recommended

I do not have your exact model so it is not a guaranty but a very educated guess. I have tried and we have had success reported here and it is pretty widely acnowledged that laptops with Intel Core 7th and 8 th gen processors running DDR4 memory will take 16 gigs per slot. HP continues to specify them as maxxing at 8 gigs per slot but you see resellers offering them with 32 gigs on 2-slot models. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, going to buy that NB, and will see what is doable.

HP Recommended

Just want to share my experience. I have HP Envy x360 15-bp100 Intel Core i7 with 4 Gb RAM solderd onboard and 4 Gb in slot. I installed 16 Gb instead of 4 Gb and it works just fine. Now I have 20 Gb of working RAM in total.

HP Recommended

My x360 is HP 15-bp152wm with the i7-8550U in it. So according to your suggestion above, I can buy a DDR4 2666 16GB instead of DDR4 2400 16GB and replace that with my original 4GB removable RAM.

But I also heard that there's another 4GB that is soldered to the motherboard and works in dual channel with that removable 4GB. So replacing the removable 4GB is not recommended.

My question is:

Is it impossible that this is only applied to different model, not mine?

Because if there's another 4GB built-in, my system info should have appeared that the total system memory be 8GB. (Mine only shows 4GB)  I did open up my computer, and see the removable 4GB is here. So my situation is that the so called soldered-in 4GB is not visible to my windows. (tried win10 system/about, old control panel/system, CPU Z, and Hp hardware Diagnostics..., All shows only one 4GB)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.