Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying so quickly! I was looking at that one too and for the exact same purpose as you are using it. Out of curiosuty does it actually charge the machine while it is in use, or just maintain and only charge when the machine is sleeping?

HP Recommended

I would worry that a 45W power adapter on a laptop that was designed for a 90W unit would eventually harm one or both devices. 

HP Recommended

Using a lower wattage adapter shouldn't ever harm the machine by just being lower wattage. It MAYBE will harm the adapter, but that's only if it's not well designed (lacking heat and/or current limiting) or if it is consistantly being asked to work at maximum load over a long period of time. In the end, you just end up charging slower, or not at all, depending on how much the machine needs at the time (hence my question above).

HP Recommended

Hopefully the USB-C power negotations will keep it in check.  I wish HP would validate it as an option that won't damage either unit or void the warranty since they obviously don't have the correct power adapter for sale yet (which is INCREDIBLY DUMB)

HP Recommended

NebbyWan,

yes it does charge the Spectre while in use. 

I bought this charger from HP because I guessed that the Spectre would check what was plugged in (since it is USB-C). I read somewhere in Amazon that another no name charger did not work.

HP Recommended

Beautiful, ordering it now. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

I am in the same boat and would really like to find a portable 90W USB-C Power Adapter for the Spectre x360 15" that I can take with me.

Is there no such device I can buy? How strange it is this dfficulty to buy a power adapter.

HP Recommended
Yeah, really annoying. The 45W is working OK for me and I like the 90° plug, but it takes a while to charge, obviously, so it's really only good for an office environment. Since then they've put out a 65W model, but the absence of the 90W that they tout for its fast charging confuses the hell out of me.
HP Recommended

I'm almost wondering if I should just buy a 45W or 60W charger and use that as my daily charger and use the 90W one for travel.

Isn't repeated high energy charging bad for Lithium Ion batteries? Even Tesla suggests to not constantly subject their battery packs to constant and sustained high energy charging and those battery packs have vastly great thermal management than a laptop battery.

is there any harm I can cause by using a 45W or 60W USB C charger to charge a Spectre x360 15? If the answer is no, I think a lower watt charger is likely better for the longevity of the battery.

HP Recommended
Nothing bad will happen to the battery using a lower wattage charger, the only concern will be with the charger itself, as being used consistently at it's maximum will have a tendency to shorten it's life. From what I've read concerning LiON batteries, I think the life is affected by charging cycles, which I think is considered letting it discharge lower than 75% and then charging. I don't think the rate of charge affects lifespan, but I'm also no expert in the subject.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.