Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 - 15-cr0003ng0
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Pavilion is using a 16GB Intel Optane Drive and a slow 1TB HDD. I tried to replace the Optane Drive by disabling the Optane storage in the "Intel Optane Management ... " GUI, rebooted, and was now only using the HDD (following Solved: Steps to Replace Optane with SSD in M.2 slot - HP Support Community - 7020025).

After shutting down, I replaced the Optane Drive with an WD Blue 3D NAND M.2 SSD, but I am not able to get it to boot.

Steps I tried:

• turning on with both the HDD and the new SSD
  • turning on with only the new SSD (by unplugging the HDD)
  • HDD alone (no Optane or SSD)
  • above steps with removed battery and drained CMOS

However I can`t get it to boot: The fan starts spinning, but the display stays off (no logo/no beep). After ~5 seconds the laptop halts, waits 1 second, then start again.

If I put the Optane back in, it boots back to windows without problems (just poinfully slow because HDD without activated optane).

Now my question: how can I get my M.2 SSD to work.

Could it be differences in power?

Could it be a problem with Intel RST/AHCI?

The M.2 is fresh out of the box, so chances for failure should be pretty low (I hope).

Thank you for any answer.

Further Note: I was able to toggle the keyboard backlight, but not the Cap Lock indicator.

Further Note: This might be a problem with RST vs AHCI: I need to use an AHCI driver for the HDD and M.2 slot, but I can`t change that in the BIOS (there is no advanced tab, and the usual tips like press "a" or "fn+tab x3" didn`t work). How can I change the SATA operation mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Since I can`t change the operation mode, I am not going to be able to install the M.2 Drive. Or install linux. Or recommend a brand that locks down their products. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Since I can`t change the operation mode, I am not going to be able to install the M.2 Drive. Or install linux. Or recommend a brand that locks down their products. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.