Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Windows 7 SP1 x64
EliteBook 840 G1 with SSD, 802.11AC wireless, i5 processor, single 8gb dimm and AMD discrete graphics

When we check LAN/WAN switching when not using any wired connection, Windows will take a long time to reach the logon screen as well as take a long time to log in.  Upon logging in the machine is unresponsive and task manager shows 100% cpu utilization.

When we uncheck the LAN/WAN switching we have no problems.
When we use a wired connection we have no problems.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Henri

thanks for the feedback

The old Gigabit Ethernet Driver was the problem.

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Henri

Please test the new Proset Software

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23626&lang=eng

Install the new BIOS

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5405365&sp...

For a test deactivate the Internet Security and Virusscanner

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

HP Recommended

We followed the instructions you have send us, but we are having the same problem.

The system is still very slow when logging on via WIFI instead of a Network Cable.

If we disable LAN/WAN switching from the bios it works fine.

But disabling this feature is not an option for us.

Hopefully there is another option/solution to solve this problem?

HP Recommended

Henri

Normally is the 100% cpu utilization a AMD Video Driver problem.

Please check your WLAN Energy Settings deactivate the Sleep Mode for the Card.

Try sfc /scannow

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Reboot

Video option test the newer driver 13.152.1.9001-131203A-166343C REV: D

Uninstall the old and reboot

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp65001-65500/sp65001.exe

HP Recommended

We solved this issue by installing the following driver:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp65001-65500/ and then select sp65260.exe

Thanks for your time and effort.

HP Recommended

Henri

thanks for the feedback

The old Gigabit Ethernet Driver was the problem.

HP Recommended

Using the latest driver from the HP website (as of last week) for the 840 G1, we still continue to receive this problem when LAN/WLAN switching is turned on.  Are there any further developments please?

We'd rather not turn this feature off if we don't have to (although it does fix the issue without fail when turned off), as we don't want employees bridging two networks while in the office.

HP Recommended

JCB-IT

Please install the last LAN and WLAN drivers

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

HP Recommended

Henri - I had this exact issue and confirmed it is resolved by

* Download and Install latest BIOS from HP

* Download and Install latest Intel Video and Ethernet Drivers from the Intel Site (Not HP.com). To confirm, We are using Intel Video 10.18.10.3496 and Intel Ethernet 12.11.96.1.

I hope you dont have Folio 1040's in your environment - The same issue exists on that notebook and unfortunatley there is no know resolution at this stage.

Rgds,

- S.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Our company deployed about 50 of these machines in January and I have seen this issue on quite a few of these machines. I have troubleshooted this very thorough and have figured out how to replicate this issue, and how to resolve it.  Even though resolving it, is still just a work around in my opinion. The fix is to install HP's January Ethernet driver. Updating the BIOS alone, doesn’t fix this, video driver has no effect on this, and the Intel drivers from Intel doesn't fix the issue either. To replicate the problem:

Reboot the 840 G1, unplug Ethernet cable and leave the a\c power plugged in, go into BIOS, reset the BIOS, and enable LAN\WAN switching, save and reboot.

With Ethernet cable un-plugged, the machine will lock up almost every time. If you plug in the Ethernet cable, the machine will go back to normal and continue booting almost instantly.  After a few reboots, the issue goes away for some reason. Resetting BIOS again will trigger the locking up when the Ethernet cable is un-plugged.

I currently have an open ticket with HP regarding this. I troubleshooted thoroughly with HP’s tech support and they asked me to send 2 of our machines so they can look at this. They could not resolve the problem so it was escalated to HP's engineering dept. HP sent one of the laptops back yesterday (7/28/2014) fixed. I could no longer replicate the problem. They said the fix was to install the latest BIOS (version 1.12) and the Ethernet drivers. What got me was that the Ethernet driver installed was not the latest driver they had on HP's website. So I installed the latest, and after that, I was able to reproduce the problem again. I pulled four other “brand new out of the box" 840 G1's to test with.  I could reproduce the freezing. So I installed the driver HP had installed on the fixed laptop and it resolved the problem on all of them. 

This Ethernet driver alone fixed the issue for me.

“Intel I217LM/V and I218LM Gigabit Ethernet Driver”

Type: Driver - Network

Version: 1.00 (31 Jan 2014)

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5405363&sp...

This resolves this issue as long as you don’t update driver to the latest whis is their June release.  The BIOS version doesn't seem to make a differnece.  Our other machines have BIOS version 1.11 and installing this driver still resolves the issue.  This is the only driver that seems to resolve the LAN\WAN switching lockup.  Even after resetting BIOS.

I currently still have the ticket open with HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.