Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp pavillion 15 ck075nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my hdd of hp pavilion 15 ck075nr as it is really slow. However, I am not sure if the laptop supports the ssd and if it does, what type? I have posted a picture of my laptop internals below. I think maybe the slot below the left hinge may be a ssd slot but i am not sure and not sure of the type.

Any help on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,IMG_20190717_130931.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks, everyone for your help.  I really appreciate your input. What I ended up doing was trying a M.2 SATA Drive from WD. That ended up working just fine. Now I have the SSD as boot drive and HDD as a storage drive. But life would have been so much easier if the manual was clear and model specific.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @TheRedDevil,

Yeah, the M.2 slot is in the top left and it'll support either an M.2 SATA III SSD or an NVMe drive.

If you look at page 47 of the PDF, you'll see some drive options with their part numbers which you can use in the HP Parts store here

Crucial also has some options here.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

UPDATE: I ended up buying the crucial p1 1000GB PCIe NVME SSD and it does not show up anywhere. Looks like the laptop does not support it. After doing a lot of research it seems that the hp laptops support for SSDs is hit or miss cases and have to try multiple ones unless you get lucky the first time. This is very disappointing from hp. Not being able to upgrade to SSD from HDD is garbage especially when there is the port for it and the manual also says it supports it. Looks like they just don't have an option in the bios.

Also, the have part numbers listed on the manual, and searching the part on their website just shows the part number which is clearly 5-6 times more expensive than other ssds. If they could just name an  ssd instead of the product number, life would be so much easier.

HP Recommended

Wow, I can't even find the Manual anymore, it's like they went in and removed it.  Dud laptop I guess with poor documentation.  In the future look at laptop reviews at popular sales sites, this laptop got almost no reviews.  I always buy stuff that has lots of reviews, even if some of them are bad at least you know they sold a bunch of them.  I would try to help if there was some documentation.  Here are some Links for you on the subject which are very interesting.  Looks like you are either locked to certain m.2 Drives or just a 2.5 inch SATA III.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hp-Pavilion-15-SSD-M-2-Upgrade...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Pavilion-15-ck-cannot-detect-N...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/M-2-SATA-SSD-not-recognized/m-...

HP Recommended

You can change the HDD that is in your machine to 2'5 SSD, but you'll have to clone the whole drive and not just the one partition. it uses uefi, so the SSD needs to be set from mbr to gpt.

For M.2

You need to check what type of bus your M.2 socket is. It will be either SATA or PCIE. I had purchased a SATA M.2 for my HP gaming laptop (not the same as your laptop), but that did not work. I purchased an NVME PCI-E version, that worked first time for me.

In windows 10, you right click your My computer(this pc) icon, select manage, then Disk management. you will soon see a list of all drives on your system. If it is the correct type M.2, it should be in the list of drives. you then just initialise the drive, convert to GPT from MBR. Clone the whole drive not just your C partition. 

That should be it.

HP Recommended

Addition:- This is my M.2 ID. Only 512GB though.

SanDisk SD8SN8U512G1122

HP Recommended

Thanks, everyone for your help.  I really appreciate your input. What I ended up doing was trying a M.2 SATA Drive from WD. That ended up working just fine. Now I have the SSD as boot drive and HDD as a storage drive. But life would have been so much easier if the manual was clear and model specific.

HP Recommended

Well thanks for reporting back, that's what I was thinking, it needed an m.2 SATA but I really don't have experience with these.  The only stuff I know about these is what I've read, I don't have one that will even accept an m.2.

Can you post the link for the manual, I couldn't find it.

P.S. HP, can you please get rid of that stupid Blue 'ask the community' Button at the bottom of the page, it's super annoying.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.