Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook

The screenshot button that usually works next to the dimming switch on top of keyboard no longer working to take a screenshot???  please help

Ed

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

same thing happened to me since last update. ctrl shift and switch not working. please remedy this asap as I take hundreds of screenshots every day.

HP Recommended

Hi @buck90, @dav164,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having an issue with some of the keys on your HP Chromebook are not working. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

The only option you have with the Chromebook is to perform a Powerwash or factory reset to resolve your keyboard issue.

Powerwash: Performing a Factory Reset on Your HP Chromebook or Chromebox (Chrome OS)

If this does not work or you are not able to do the Powerwash, I would personally suggest this could be a hardware issue. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service related options. Please remember to choose the paid options if your product is out of warranty to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I think that response was too boiler plate an answer... I dont think THE HP   respondent took the time to really read the question ...I too am having trouble with CRTL SHIFT SWITCH key not working to take screen shots... The problem seemed to happen right after an Update  ..The HP repsonant merely stated  it seems you have some keys that dont work    NOT adressing at ALL The issue of the key combination to take Screen shots  ... HP  Can you try to reanswer that question and really read the question.. Thanks 

HP Recommended

I think that response was too boiler plate an answer... I dont think THE HP   respondent took the time to really read the question ...I too am having trouble with CRTL SHIFT SWITCH key not working to take screen shots... The problem seemed to happen right after an Update  ..The HP repsonant merely stated  it seems you have some keys that dont work    NOT adressing at ALL The issue of the key combination to take Screen shots  ... HP  Can you try to reanswer that question and really read the question.. Thanks 

HP Recommended

Hi @pgdance,

Thank you for joining HP Forums.} I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand you are having an issue with the screenshot on HP Chromebook not working after the latest update, Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

As you mentioned in your post that all started after the last update, I would suggest the only option available on Chromebook is to perform a factory reset. Powerwash, also known as a factory reset, restores the original factory settings on your HP Chromebook, removes all associated Google Accounts (including the owner), and erases all local data from the hard drive. Locally saved files saved networks, and owner account permissions are deleted for all accounts. If possible, back up important files, either on the Web or with an external storage device, before using Powerwash on the Chromebook. The Google Accounts themselves, and any data synced to the Web through your Google Drive are not affected by Powerwash.

For more details, please follow this link: HP Chrome OS - Powerwash: Performing a Factory Reset on Your HP Chromebook or Chromebox (Chrome OS)

If this does not work or you are not able to do the Powerwash, I would personally suggest this could be a hardware issue. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service related options. Please remember to choose the paid options if your product is out of warranty to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @gymrat123,

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I started having this same problem on my HP Chromebook within the last week. No other keys having issues and I changed no settings recently. Hard to believe this is a hardware issue.

HP Recommended

Hi @rolandcw,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issue taking screenshot on your HP Chromebook after the recent update. 

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

I just wanted to check with you if you have followed the steps suggested in the previous post. If yes, what were the results of the troubleshooting. 

If you haven't tried those steps I would suggest you follow these steps and please do respond with the details, for further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@HP SUPPORT     there is NO WAY I am going to give a a Digital HIgh five or LIKe or any other form of ONLINE endorsement for your answer...  MY problem got fixed by applying a NEW Update after leaving a bug repoprt to Google Chrome. After the update, the screen shots work  again with the CRTL SHFT SWITCH key So NO POWERWASH OR FACTORY RESET AS WAS SUGGESTED BY HP SUPPORT WAS NECESSARY  !!!   The problem was a  google chrome update   that apperantley was fixed a couple days later with a newer updates

SO TRY A LITTLE HARDER AT GIVING A CORRECT ANSWER IN THE FUTURE and NOT have user do a needless factory  reset or restore or "powerwash" as you call it leading to potential data loss for your clients .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.