Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-dr1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Everyone,

I have an Odd situation with my HP ENVY Laptop where the following Keys stopped working:

"Home , End, Delete, Pg up, Pg dn, Right Arror, & Left Arrow"

The Keys stopped working around 2 weeks ago and It is very Annoying.

I've already done the below:

- Hard reset

- Removing Keyboard drivers and reinstalling it.

- Run the Diagnostic and it confirmed the issue

- Rebooted the Notebook and accesses BIOS and the keys (Arrows to be specific in that case) are not working on it either.

The above refers to a hardware mulfunction that requires repair.

YET, before I go to the support center, I checked for Windows and HP software updates, and I came across some windows update, HP BIOS update and some other drivers, Once I completed the updates, it began working again.

Then all of a sudden it stopped after a few hours.

The Only thing that happened during these hours was an update to the Tilt Pen driver, and Although it felt irrrelevant I uninstalled the EZ tilt pen software yet no Joy.

The notebook is 2 months Old, I dont belive this is a Hardware issue, I "Assume" this is related to the windows update happened a few weeks back, but the issue continuing on BIOS boot screen says otherwise.

Pretty Confusing and very Annoying for a work Laptop.

So, Help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@AhmedSami84  recommend you attempt the below steps to identify the cause of the failure and resolve it accordingly:

• Try changing the keyboard layout/language and check if it works: Click here for steps.
  • Clean the keyboard with compressed air (blow compressed air in the gaps between keys). This removes some lint and dust. 
  • Shut down the laptop, remove the battery and cable for a moment, press and hold the start button for 60 seconds
  • Replace the battery, restart the notebook,
  • if the issue persists, perform an interactive hardware test on the keyboard using the steps mentioned on this link: Click here (look under "Running Component Tests > Keyboard test").

If the test fails, you can find the part number on the HP Parts Surfer & replace the parts on the HP Parts Store.

Or write back to me for alternate solutions to getting it fixed via HP.

If the test pass (again) create a new user account and check if that works.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle,

Thank you for your answer, I followed your steps, and here is the outcome:

- Changed the layout  and Language multiple time, Still the same.

(Also The button Affected are function keys, Non are language related)

- Cleaned the KB with comprissing air into the gaps, Still the same.

(Also the affected button are in different places on the keyboard to be a common dust issue, and oddly it is all function keys)

- The Laptop model (HP ENVY X360 Convertible 15-Dr1xxx) has a built in battery, I have done another hard reset using the poswer button, Still the Same.

- I have done the interactive hardware test using the HP assistant, run the Keyboard test and the buttons failed.

I'd rather know more about the alternate solutions you have, I know for a fact that this is a software issue, If I gone with replacing KB buttons I know this will remain as an issue untill someone figures out what the issue is or wipe my software, which is gonna be bad news for me.

Looking forward for your reply, and Again Thank you

HP Recommended

@AhmedSami84 if the test failed, it must have mentioned a failure ID, could you respond back with the details, that said, if you feel this is a software issue, the keys should work in the BIOS screen & on the h/w test outside windows, if it isn't, its not a software issue, however, you could try creating a new user account and check if that helps.

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher The Failure ID is:

UE7RW2-9RDA0P-GXGKHF-G5K803

I run the test from outside windows by pressing F2 while Notebook booting.

The new user account you mentioned, you mean Windows User account?

And Is that the last thing to try before proceeding with hardware fix with HP repair center?

I know it all leads to hardware issue, Yet the fact that this notebook is new, and that the Keys are not in the same place and it's all function keys beside the fact it worked at somepoint with a simple update is making highly doubting it is a hardware issue.

But if there is no other troubleshootings that you can think of, I will proceed with the repair center and see what they will say about it.

HP Recommended

@AhmedSami84

Appreciate you trying the steps. As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.