Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello, I just received my i7 model of the HP Spectre X360 today and after a short period of use on the computer the upper left corner of the body of the computer becomes very hot, so much that resting it on part of my body becomes unbearable. I had read up on the notebook before buying it and the only mention of any issue of this sort was in a pros/cons list in one review that merely stated that "the bottom runs warm." Thus I was not expecting this level of heat while using the laptop rather casually, as the most intensive thing I was doing was streaming videos. Is this normal for what I am doing on this laptop? It's not the worst problem but it is definitely worrisome as I am planning on using this laptop for the next four years or so.

Thank you all in advance!

100 REPLIES 100
HP Recommended

Hi @yiajiipamu ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

I just received my I5 HP Spectre 360 (touchscreen).  I'm having the same problem.  The left bottom side of the computer has gotten very hot (so hot that I can't have it on my lap).  When researching what computer to buy, I too found that no one mentioned that this model had this problem (just runs warm).

HP Recommended

I have the i7 and have also noticed this. So far I haven't tought it something to worry about, I just try to keep the bottom vent as clear as possible.

HP Recommended
Ditto for me with the extremely hot corner. We should not have to worry about making sure to hold the unit in such a way so it does not overheat. This clearly needs attention by HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the comments. I have been researching this issue to determine if I wanted to purchase the 360. Since I do a lot of work while in transit, this is important to me.

After seeing the comments, I think I will postpone taking any action. Will follow your comments and see if the problem is fixed.

HP Recommended

Hi, I've had my I7 Spectre for a few hours, have only had it on for about an hour and it is already hot. Very disappointing and will likely have to return it.

HP Recommended

After a bit more research, and noticing that the fan had been running the entire time the PC was turned on, I found a suggestion to change the power settings to "Power Saver". I did this and after changing that setting the fan is not running constantly. I don't know if this is the solution, but it might be a good place to start.

HP Recommended

Setting the power setting to Power Saver mode definitely causes the x360 to run considerably cooler, albeit at the expense of some performance. For my i5, it basically limits the CPU to 0.77GHz. There is a noticable lag when doing things, but it's not unbearable.

HP Recommended

I also have this problem. The bottom of my X360 gets alarmingly hot. I have to use a lap desk because I can't even imagine putting it on my skin, and I am often nervous something inside is going to burn out. I don't even run anything graphic-heavy. My day-to-day use is internet browsing and word processing and that is it!

And yes, this happens on power saver. It happens regardless of the power option.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.