Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@Bshack nope, nothing. No response from HP and no known solutions or workarounds as far as I know. Very disappointing. I encourage you to make your own post and please feel free to link to this one.

HP Recommended

Thanks. As an FYI, my Spectre has been charging from the monitor for the past 18 hours. This is exactly what I did, but no guarantee it will work again next time the issue pops up:

1. Make sure only the HP-supplied power-supply is plugged into the Thunderbolt port and laptop is charging.

2. Shut down PC from Windows

3. Unplug charging cable from TB port

4. Press and hold power button for 15 seconds. The light on the button should go on and off twice (once right away and again in 15 secs) in this amount of time.

5. While the laptop is off, plug the monitor cable into the TB3 port

6. Turn laptop on

As I noted in earlier posts, I've tried something along these lines in the past and it didn't fix the problem consistently, but maybe I didn't do everything exactly in the same order.

Did we just buy lemons or is this a more widespread issue? I'm surprised there aren't more posts about this online.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

I just gave those steps a try and sadly, no progress. But thanks for posting them. I'm using a GPU enclosure that is TB3, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. But, as I said in my original post(s), this all used to work just fine before the BIOS update!

HP Recommended

@desiato @bshack

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to back up your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@echo_lake, thanks for responding. I understand your suggestion of a full system restore is a standard troubleshooting step, but I am not going to do that to attempt to resolve this issue. The only thing that changed on my system when this issue started was the BIOS update; I had not installed any new software or attached any new/additional hardware. The facts show this is clearly related to the BIOS update.

I would expect at this point for someone in HP support to get a x360 of the same configuration with the same BIOS revision and attempt to replicate the issue. To help with that, I am here is a link to the external TB3 enclosure I am using. It uses the Intel JHL6540 and 6240 Thunderbolt Controllers. All it will take is an HP engineer to take that TB3 enclosure and the same model x360 as I have posted about and plugging them together to see what the issue is and start diagnosing it, hopefully leading to a BIOS update that fixes the issues in the short term.

Please understand that this issue has eliminated the ability to get the most out of my Spectre and I'm on the verge of getting rid of it and purchasing from another vendor who can provide proper support.

HP Recommended

@desiato

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@echo_lake I spoke to someone on phone support today. He was very helpful, but ultimately no good solution could be found. He tried to walk me through restoring the BIOS back to F.18, but the system just reports that the BIOS recovery files are missing or corrupted. I've confirmed that the recovery mechanism does work by "recovering" to F.26 (the BIOS version I have now), but following the same steps for F.18 gives me the "missing or corrupted" error message.

I was then told that I'd have to ship my machine to the support center so they could downgrade the BIOS (presumably through a different method), but this would cost $424. I am not going to spend that kind of money to fix an issue that has been caused by HP engineers with a bad BIOS update.

I ran another test just to confirm a major issue: with the battery at full charge and both the standard wall charger and my TB3 enclosure attached, I left it for about half an hour. Coming back, the fans were running full tilt and the battery was down to 70%. This is completely unacceptable! Can you please inform as to when the next BIOS update for this machine model will be released?

HP Recommended

@desiato

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@echo_lake Thank you for passing my issue on to that team. I'll wait to hear from them. Do you know how soon I should expect to hear from them?

HP Recommended

HI@desiato,

Firstly, check for the BIOS version installed on the laptop. To check that, click on the start button and then type run. After that type msinfo32 to check the BIOS version currently installed on your laptop. Re-flash the BIOS ones again.

If the BIOS version is old, please click on the below link to update it-LINK

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.