Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I've just experienced this same problem...for the second time. 

Before starting graduate school in August 2015, I decided I was done with the few mediocre laptops I had during undergrad and saved up all summer to buy a $1200 Spectre 360x with the Core i7 processor. Approximately 6 months later in January 2016, my laptop abruptly failed to turn on with zero warning signs. I called HP technical support and, because I was under warranty at the time, I was able to send my laptop in to get fixed free of charge with no problems (minus the 2 weeks I had to go without a working laptop while being a full time graduate engineering student). Once I got the laptop back, everything worked fine and I was only told that their was a "problem with motherboard" and no further information about the defect. 

I wish I could say that this was the end of my problems, but this week (now a year and a half after initally purchasing the laptop), the same problem has occured AGAIN. With no warning signs at all, the laptop fails to turn on. To make things even worse, this happened to happen during one of the worst weeks it could have - I was in such a bind that I had to pay $150 for geek squad to scrape my harddrive for a number of documents I needed that day and then another $170 for a cheap Lenovo laptop at a local Best Buy so I could finish the work that I had to complete for work I do remotely .

After the debacle, I called HP tech support, only to find out that I would have to pay $715 to get the laptop sent to HP headquarters to get fixed! The tech support gave me no other options and honestly had no empathy for the position HP has put me in. I was stunned. That is close to 60% of the original laptop price! My current financial situation makes it impossible to pay that kind of money (especially after the money I had to throw out to save the data on my hard drive and buy the cheap laptop). I understand that I am no longer under warranty, but this laptop is not even a year and a half old. After spending $1200 on a machine you would think it could at least squeak out 3 years. If I can't get this issue resolved and have proof that it won't continue to happen, I will be leaving HP as a loyal customer (both of my previous PCs were HP).

I've read the forums and have seen that a number of people have had this problem occur to them as well, but has anyone had it happen twice? Is there anyway to assure that if I do end up getting the laptop fixed, that the problem will actually get resolved? How do I know that this won't keep occuring every year? 

HP Recommended

Wow! I can only imagine the stress you are feeling! I got my laptop back from repairs but now I am worried this will happen to mine again and end up costing me more money.

In my opinion, this is obviously some type of manufacturing defect and HP should step up. Why else would a system board completely break on well cared for (expensive) laptops that are under 2 years old?! 

HP Recommended

@kevin-t  Can you help others with this problem? My laptop just wouldn't turn on one day. I have taken it to a service center and they have confirmed that it needs a new motherboard. I purchased the laptop in June 2015, so it is out of warranty. It has been a very good laptop until now, but this is very disappointing. Can you have someone from HP contact me as you did with the previous customer?  "Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details)." It's too bad that HP is not being more proactive in addressing this problem, as I can see very many people are dealing with the same issue.

I would appreciate it very much!

HP Recommended

@kefaerber

Thank you for posting your concerns on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your matters to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They may request for some additional information from you in order to look up your case or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Please keep in mind not to post any personal information publicly (serial numbers, phone numbers, and etc.). If you have any additional questions please send me a private message. Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

@Omar-E

Thank you for the quick reply. Fingers crossed I will get somewhere with it!

HP Recommended

This happened to me tonight as well. 

I've had a 13-4009na since late Aug 2015 and barely use it (one or two hours a month), and tonight in the middle of something... a slight pop and a dead laptop.  I thought it had come with a 2 year warranty (at that price), but alas it's expired.  So I took the back off it, and low and behold, up around the SSD, a couple of surface mounted components are sizzled, with the faint smell of burning.  Seems to be a common problem now that I've found these forums.

I wouldn't mind if I felt I'd got my money out of it, but this is been my pride and joy and kept only for best!  After years of recommending HP gear to people, I'm really worried.  The motherboards are impossible to get hold of, and it sounds like HP are charging way too much to replace something that's obviously a defect.  This has really soured me. 

To make it worse I can't find any wayto make hardware enquiry with HP, as navigating around the UK support site keeps taking me back to more software orientated problems and the option of a £35 phone call to help diagnose my problem!

HP Recommended

The same thing happened to me just now.  I heard a slight pop and the laptop powered down and now has no lights at all.  It was a Spectre x360 Convertible 13-4003dx.  I've looked all around the support options but can't find a way to just have it sent in and fixed.

I can't believe this is happening to everyone.  I specifically bought a high end HP because I trust the name and have had reliable product from them before.  If this is really as big a problem as it seems then I don't know why this hasn't been recalled.

HP Recommended

Looks I just fell victim to the same faulty motherboard.  My wife loved this laptop, and it suddenly died 2 days ago.  I tried swapping AC adapters, a hard reset and nothing.  After reading all of the other forum posts about HP Spectre 360s not booting up, I called HP support and they told me it was probably the motherboard, and they would be happy to fix it for $699.56!  that is about 65% of the cost of a brand new Spectre.  This laptop is less than 2yrs old!  

I decided to splurge on a premium laptop for my wife, and expected it to last longer than 20 months.   What makes this worse is that it's clearly a known problem with this model motherboard produced during this time frame (mid 2015).  For HP to abandon it's customers is not acceptable. I don't blame HP for a bad component.  I am bothered by their response.  I guess I'll be shopping for a Dell in the morning...

HP Recommended

Well, everything described in this forum regarding the motherboard happened to me yesterday.   My Spectre lasted almost 2 years;  however, that's probably because my normal computer usage is much less than the average person, only using it a couple times a week to pay bills.   My local repair shop quoted much less for the motherboard repair ($540).   I found a new Spectre on clearance sale at Best Buy for $1050, but obviously I not going to buy it.  I'm writing this off to a very expensive mistake after reviewing all of your comments ordering a MacBook Pro Air.   I'm going to drop the laptop in the trash can, unless there is someone that wants it for parts.  

Question:  Isn't there some consumer agency we can report this too to force a "recall" or something?   If you can advise

@TZ0923 wrote:

This same issue happened to me last week...

My laptop was purchased brand new, from Microsoft on 2/22/2016.  After it stopped responding to the charge, I took it into a nearby repair center. They ran diagnostics and were able to confirm the motherboard is the cause of power failure. They quoted the repair at $640.00. After discussing this with HP, they told me their cost is $712.00! The best they could offer me was a 40% discount to repair the motherboard.

All though the laptop is out of warranty and I did not purchase the extended warranty I find it very frustrating that I need to pay hundreds of dollars to have this fixed. This laptop is practically brand new, what are the chances of a motherboard going bad on a brand new laptop? What kind of product is this?! If I would have known this would happen, I definitely would have spent my $1000 on a more reliable product other than an HP.

HP should really investigate this issue and fix these faulty laptops at no charge. It is unfortunate that all of us have already spent so much money on these expensive laptops (assuming they would last longer than 1 1/2yrs without serious issues like this) only to have the worst case scenario take place.

, I will be happy to do the heavy lifting to write the letter.   

HP Recommended

I bought my computer back in 2015. In March/April of 2016 my computer stopped turning on once the laptop would go to sleep or was shut down. After troubleshooting with their support, we finally determined it needed to be sent in for repair. They had to completely wipe my computer, and then had determined it was a motherboard failure...something about alignment. Fortunately at the time it was fully covered and I didn't have to eat the costs.

Well, here we are in 2017, and it's happening again. The Motherboard is failing and I called in for help. They told me it is out of warranty and that it would cost me about $750 to repair it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.