Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I had given the same issue. My motherboard burned at the same place.

I was given a quote: $145 AUD to pick my laptop and see what the problem is.

It like they do not know what happened.

It is defenetely defect which had to be recalled by HP.

There are multiple treads on this issue. Some of them has been already closed.

HP Recommended

I posted on another thread that I had this exact same issue. My 13-4003dx is less than 2 years old as well. I was working on my computer with the charger connected when it suddenly powered off. Immediately after I was unable to power back on or charge the battery. Whenever I push the power button unplugged the LED charging light will blink 3 times but the computer won't turn on.  Opened up the bottom panel and saw the same capacitors fried just like others on this forum.  The support rep I spoke to basically said sorry you're out of warranty, but we'll replace the motherboard for $700+!!  This is clearly a problem that HP is not addressing and if nothing comes from all these reports of a clear manufacturing flaw, I will make every effort to be sure that I, or anyone I know, will never buy an HP again.  

Attached photos for reference.

spectrex360motherboard1.jpg

spectrex360motherboard2.jpg

HP Recommended

I'm also having this issue with three of the same type of laptop all out of warranty. I've contacted Support via phone but they are telling me they can provide a "diagnostic" of the issue for $50 and if I'm correct about what the issue is it will cost $750 per unit to repair.

HP Recommended

I've also just experienced this issue. Tried to power on the computer nothing happened. The battery indicator light won't even come on. Took the laptop to an authorized repair center and they said it might be the DC port. I ordered the part from HP, but that didn't solve the problem. Turns out there is nothing wrong with the DC port, but the motherboard is fried. The cost to repair is almost as much as a new laptop so that's not an option. This is really disappointing. I understand that I'm out of warranty, but this seems like a product defect to me. There are several people on this board alone who purchased this $1000+ laptop only to have a major component fail within a year and a half. As another poster mentioned this is not "normal wear and tear". I've purchased several HP laptops/desktops in the past and this is the first time I've had an issue like this. I tried talking to customer support, but they were totally unresponsive, all they said is sorry out of warranty. I would appreciate it if someone can reach out to me to help me with this issue. Thanks.

HP Recommended

I created a case on HP's website and called a US number it gave me with the case number. The tech told me "too bad it is out of warranty but we'll fix it for $600". I complained and said that was unacceptable and demanded they fix it. He spoke to his supervisor who told him to offer me 30% off the repair. Again, I gave him a piece of my mind and he transfered me to a case worker. This person than told me they don't actually deal with "high end devices" like the Spectre, but he sent my case to a department that DOES handle these expensive devices. Within two hours a very nice lady that actually spoke english called me and said that they would send me a fedex box and repair it for free (this time only of course). She said that because I paid so much for this device to have it fail less than 2 years later was not the quality HP tries to obtain, so they would fix it for me for no charge. When she asked for feedback I told her what I was told with the "level 1" tech support and she said that was unacceptable.

So do NOT give up on the phone. Complain, demand to speak to someone else, whatever. But don't just accept "too bad". As I told the lady, if this was a $400 laptop i'd probably just suck it up and buy a new device. But for $1,000+, I shouldn't have to pay $600 to fix faulty components.

HP Recommended
Good for u Nate, I've tried 5 different phone numbers and hours on the phone to keep getting the "the best we can do for you is take 25% off the repair costs". My Spectre is less than 2 years old and breaks, getting the flashing 3 lights motherboard issue. Due to HP spending their money on advertising and not quality assurance and building a lasting computer, this problem seems to be a common one. I have not gotten mine fixed because I refuse to pay any money to HP as it feels like this giant company is scamming their consumers out of repair costs when they should be recalling their defective product. I'm in the process of reaching out to tech bloggers and people who review HP products to make sure they are aware of a common problem of HPs and how HP has been handling it. I will never give HP another dime of my business and anyone that asks me will soon learn not to as well. The common move when they do fix it for free as in pretending like they are doing goodwill is so phony and they are very aware of this issue and that it is their fault. It is a publicly traded company with an unacceptable business practice, we as consumers need to be heard.
HP Recommended

Oh and when I was on the phone and mentioned the persistent problem I see on this message board and elsewhere,  I was told that "all products have good and bad reviews".  I tried to inform him the difference between reviews and claims that the computer was defective but he said those are just bad reviews 

HP Recommended

My HP Spectre x360 that I use only a couple of times per year when I go on business trips just had exactly the same issue. is out of warranty, exactly 2 years old, It has very little use and it just had the same thing happen to it, the same burn in the same spot.  Is there anything I can do so HP can help me? It sounds like a manufacturing/design problem, I would hate to pay for the repair and have the laptop die because of the same issue months later.

Please HP have my case escalated this seems like a fire hazard. 

Here are the pictures showing the same issue in all of our cases.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B59jFDOc6x3xYkhNQzQ2NE5VTVE?usp=sharing

UPDATE: Talk to HP Support, They escalated the issue and they did not help me, they got me a discount but it will cost me $450 to repair the laptop. he said that if is a manufacturing defect is cover in the first year. I really liked my spectre paid good money barely use it and now I might have to get used to buy the extended warranty and go to a different brand.

HP Recommended

My suggestion to all those who are experiencing this same problem is to not call HP Support. You need to have your case escalated by a HP Support Rep from this forum. This seems to get your case to a team that is familiar with the issue who will help you. 

My Laptop is currently being shipped to HP (on their dime) for a motherboard replacement. I will update on the forum how things turn out once I get it back.

HP Recommended

I second this method. At least, it's how I got my motherboard replaced.

You will be told you are out of warranty, but you should insist on having hp pay for the repir, since what we have here is a product defect, not normal wear and tear. In fact, we are having fire and health hazard because of their product defect. It's a shame hp hasn't call back this laptop already.

Here are some pictures I found on the internet as well as my own case. Feel free to share them with the HP representative that contacts you to prove the point.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3Bu9TKwADa4dk85UjV0TW9iQms

Edit: Also, when you are on the phone with a representative, you can ask for an email address to send them pictures and messages for a better record of the contacts and promises  between you and hp. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.