Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15z-Eh000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a new laptop Pavilion 15z-eh000(Product number: 9WD42AV) in December 2020 and I found it may be defective on arrival, I can hear annoying static noise(kind of buzz sound or "ssssss" sound) from the left side(around the key "A", "S", "Q", etc…) of the laptop. Here're the symptoms:

1. The static sound is noticeable and annoying when the laptop is connected with the original HP power adapter, same issue when the laptop is connected with 65W or 80W USB-C power adapters I have for testing, so the issue is NOT just a bad power adapter. As soon as the power cord is unplugged(that is, use battery power), the noise is gone;

2. Moving the touch pad or an external mouse makes the static noise louder, that is, when there is a mouse cursor move, the static sound goes up, and as soon as the cursor stops moving, the noise quiet a bit(but still noticeable in a quiet room). Hitting the buttons of the mouse doesn't increase the noise like moving the mouse, very strange.

3. The system is up-to-date or patched, also disabling audio from the O/S level didn't help. So I don't think it's a software related issue. And keep in mind that removing the power cord(doesn't matter the original HP adapter or the USB-C one) immediately remove all the noise, so it looks to be a hardware issue on the motherboard or the power supply component, somewhere in the left side.

4. About 6+ buyers who bought the same model of laptop(Pavilion 15z-eh000) in December complained on the forum about the same issue, while other buyers said no static noise heard, so this could be a QC problem. It was a deal during the holiday, so many buyers discussed this issue.

Please advise. Thank you for your help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Does any one have suggestion for me? thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.