Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 - 13-aw0XXXXX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Spectre X360 and a Samsung CJ791 34 inch monitor which can provide 85W via Thunderbolt 3 to charge an attached laptop. Unfortunately, I have only been able to get the monitor to charge the laptop a handful of times after several hard resets (holding power button for over 15 seconds) and uninstalling USB driviers / battery drivers.

Currently the laptop battery drains when connected only to the monitor via Thunderbolt 3 even though the orange charging light is illuminated. I get repeated "plugged in, but not charging" messages. Even worse, the laptop battery continues to drain (not charge) when I connect the HP charging cable to the second Thunderbolt 3 port. The laptop battery will only charge if I disconnect the external monitor, which then becomes a very expensive paper weight.

I saw another post that suggested a recent upgrade to the latest BIOS (F.26) may be a contributing factor, but I don't think that is the main issue because I *have* been able to get the monitor to charge the laptop on occasion both before and after the BIOS update. I cannot find more current Thunderbolt, battery, or AC adapter drivers than what I have installed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi@bshack, Welcome to the HP Support Community.Apologies for all the inconvenience. Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps

I have a few steps listed below that should help you resolve this concern: 

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%. 

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins. 

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager: 

1) In the search box, type and open “Device Manager”.  

2) Expand “Batteries”.  

3) Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.  

4) Click on “Uninstall”.  

5) At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver  

6) Shutdown the computer.  

7) Remove the battery for minute and then put it back in.  

😎 When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver.  

9) Go to Device Manager.  

10) Expand Batteries.  

11) Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there. 

12) Click "Search automatically for updated driver software"  

Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller.  

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed. 

Additional help can be found in the below articles: 

Additional help can be found in the below articles: 

Battery Charging Delayed When Operating Notebook in High Ambient Temperatures 

Battery Does Not Charge when Using a Voltage Adapter with the Power Adapter 

Battery Indicator Light Turns On and Off While Battery is Charging 

To understand more about how your battery works: Click here ,

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

My issue has been resolved for the time being. Shutting down windows, unplugging all cables, doing a hard reset, then starting the laptop after reconnecting the monitor cable seems to have done the trick.

Thanks you,

B

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.