Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-bc404ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.

I noticed there is M.2 slot in my laptop. And my HDD is working poor with OS (inhumanly stuttering, even after much clean reinstalls). So i decided to buy M.2 for OS. So...

I have trouble with choosing M.2 SSD for this slot. The SSD i want is: A-Data XPG SX6000 Lite

but its 2280 and not 2280SS (Single-Sided).

Will this M.2 fit and work for laptop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well here is the Manual:

Manual

This Manual covers a few different model series so your specs start on p. 4 for 15-bc400 series. Under storage it says you can use an Optane module. Optane uses the NVME protocal so if you can have Optane you can have an NVME M.2 as the main storage disk even though the Manual does not expressly say that. 

The Lexar M.2 you ask about is the SATA kind and will work fine but it is about one-fifth as fast as an NVME based M.2. Those are a little more expensive but for a few extra kopecs I think its worth it. 2280SS just means it is 22mm wide and 80mm long and is "single sided" which makes it thinner but does not affect whether it fits in your M.2 slot. Its the same form as just "2280"

Good luck. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

There is a thread here in the forum about the very same notebook as yours.

The original author of that thread marked a suggestion to use an M.2 with the same specs as the one you are considering as the solution.

Based on that information, the  A-Data XPG SX6000 Lite M.2 SSD  will physically fit and should work without any issues.

The link to the manual in the thread is dead. Here is a live one.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06198371

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

i was looking internet again... and i say, i don't think so... because its interface is PCI-E and not SATA III . And i think my laptop supports only SATA III interface (600mb speed limit).

I found another one, it should fit definitely: Lexar NM210 [LNM210-256RB]

I saw a video where Crucial MX200 M.2 Type 2280SS was working fine, but i can't afford this model only Lexar one...

also, what about 2280 and 2280SS ?

HP Recommended

Well here is the Manual:

Manual

This Manual covers a few different model series so your specs start on p. 4 for 15-bc400 series. Under storage it says you can use an Optane module. Optane uses the NVME protocal so if you can have Optane you can have an NVME M.2 as the main storage disk even though the Manual does not expressly say that. 

The Lexar M.2 you ask about is the SATA kind and will work fine but it is about one-fifth as fast as an NVME based M.2. Those are a little more expensive but for a few extra kopecs I think its worth it. 2280SS just means it is 22mm wide and 80mm long and is "single sided" which makes it thinner but does not affect whether it fits in your M.2 slot. Its the same form as just "2280"

Good luck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.