Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 15.6 inch 2-in-1 Laptop PC 15-eu0000
Microsoft Windows 11

Devices in question:

• HP ENVY x360 15.6 inch 2-in-1 Laptop PC 15-eu0000 computer.  This device supports USB-C charging, as specifically mentioned in the device's service manual. 
    • This Envy was preloaded with Windows 11.
    • All updates from Windows Update and those listed on the HP Software and Driver Downloads page have been applied.
    • The preloaded bios (F.06) is newer than the most recent one listed on the Software and Driver Downloads page (F.04).
  • I have purchased this USB-C power adapter. This device delivers 96Watts over a USB-C connector.
    • The item's description says it's compatible with HP devices (among many others).

The problem:

• I have plugged the USB-C power adapter into my Envy computer. This USB-C power adapter does not let my Envy charge the battery.  My Envy does not even realize a charger is present at all. 
  • I can charge other devices using this same charger, including a HP Chromebook. These other devices are able to recognize the charger and power the device. This implies that the charger itself works fine.

My Question;

• Why is my Envy not able to recognize a USB-C power adapter, even though it should be able to power the device?
  • If this is due to a known incompatibility, what is that incompatibility? What do I need to look for when I buy a different USB-C charger to remedy it?
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

More than likely that charger doesn't supply the specific voltage your laptop needs. HP's USB C charger like this- HP USB C charger   It delivers 5V, 9V, 10V, 12V, 15V, or 20V of power, auto sensing whatever the device needs. I see no mention of the voltages that charger can produce, so it's unlikely that it support your particular model.

Volunteering here is my therapy
17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
HP Recommended

According to the writing on the USB-C charger, it supports:

• 5V @ 3Amps
  • 9V @ 3A
  • 15V @ 3A
  • 20.5V @ 4.7A

How do I find the specific voltages that are required in this Envy's USB-C port?

HP Recommended

@ZannyMcZanny 

What is your Laptop PC 15-eu0000 ? For example

HP ENVY x360 Convert 15-eu0001nn

Your machine should have same ports as the above machine. It

• has 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge) port
  • uses 65 W AC power adapter

You can use a compatible USB-C chager with wattage rating 65W to charge your machine. Your machine is a good candidate for an HP USB-C Gen 5 dock which give you many things using a single cable.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

> What is your Laptop PC 15-eu0000 ? For example

This device is specifically a HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15m-eu0043dx

>  Your machine should have same ports as the above machine. It has

> *1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge)

> * port uses 65 W AC power adapter

>  You can use a compatible USB-C chager with wattage rating 65W to charge your machine. Your machine is a good candidate for an HP USB-C Gen 5 dock which give you many things using a single cable.

It does indeed have those ports.  I got this device specifically because it ought to be a good candidate for a docking station. I got a 90 watt adapter so that there would be enough power to go around between a dock and the computer itself.   Not all docks include a power adapter.

The question comes down to: What exactly defines a USB-C charger to be compatible or not?  

HP Recommended

@ZannyMcZanny 

Very hard to find from HP even with the following charger

https://www.hp.com/au-en/shop/hp-65w-usb-c-power-adapter-1he08aa.html

which only

Compatible with HP Pro X2 612 G2; HP Elite X2 1012 G2; HP Elitebook x360 1030 G2 

I don't have money to buy them all to test. I used to borrow many things from work but very hard now because I am a retiree. I bought an HP USB-C Gen 5 dock for my Elitebook machine and I did test on my HP Envy machine, Dell 2-in-1 13-7000 series machine ...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.