Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp Spectre x360 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey!

I´ve been using and loving my Hp spectre x360 13 for a week now. On the second day of use and today something weird happend. When plugging in my Laptop in the right hand usb c port it didn´t charge, nothing happend. The charger worked for my phone (Nexus 6P) and I was able to charge the Laptop via the other port. After about half an hour both ports were usable again. What could the cause be?

Quick side note: I am using an EU to UK adapter to charge as I am travelling in the UK from Germany

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hey there! @humorousgerman, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you have USB-c port issue with your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Have you tried checking with different USB devices?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below.

1) Open Device Manager. Find Universal Serial Bus controllers option and single click it to expand.

2) Find USB Root Hub option under this category. Right click it and choose Properties.

3) Go to Power Management tab and uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option. Then click OK to save your change.

If you have more USB Root Hub, you need to repeat this operation a couple of times. Please remember to press OK after every perform.

After the settings, plug your USB device back in to see if your computer is able to recognize it now. 

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

1) Open Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options.

2) Click Choose what the power button does.

3) Click Change settings that are currently unavailable at the top.

4) At the bottom, uncheck Turn on fast startup option and then press Save changes button.

5) Restart your computer and plug in the USB device to see if it works.

If your USB device still doesn’t work after this change, please change the setting back and follow the next method.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot USB connection issues.

Let me know if this works!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This absolutely worked for me.

HP Recommended

Hi ive tried the above two methods and there was no change.

i left my laptop in the same position on my desk overnight. the first usb-c port was plugged in to the charger and connected to the socket (but not switched on) overnight as well.

the next morning, charging by that same port just could not start/did not work.

please help thanks

HP Recommended

same here 😞

I have a new HP Pavilion Power 15

with an i5-7300HQ

and a GTX 1050

I plugged my OnePlus 5 phone with a USB C to USB C cabel into the only usb c port of my laptop to transfer a lot of files, I left it there over night because 40GB took quite long and I wanted to charge it up. It was fully charged at the morning and now, a few hours later I wanted to connect my external drive but it isn't working. not a single usb c device is working, ionly normal USB 3.0 works

I have not changed any settings and the Laptop is only two days old!

I updated every single device in the device manager and even reinstalled all the usb drivers! oh and the USb serial thing doesn't even show up, and no unknown devices what so ever

nothing is working 😕

HP Recommended

HP SPectre x360 a month old and one of the 2 USB C ports stopped working.

Tried the Device manager changed the USB Root Hub to disable turn off the device to save power.

Did the control panel - hardware Tried the power - turned off turn on fast start

Rebooted and no luck the USB c still does not work - any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

HP Spectre x360 - 13-ae006no

In my case video went through the USB-C connector (to HDMI adapter) but charging was not working. Had same problem 2 months ago; after service (SSD was changed) it was working till today.

Battery level was so low that I had to call service. They adviced:

- turn off the PC

- disconnect all cables

- press the power button 30 sec (to reset the USB-Cs - the PC will not turn on)

- connect charger and turn-on the PC normally

This worked for me (although the power on Led is not working).

HP Recommended

I just had this happen this morning. This fixed it for me.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05942533

HP Recommended

Hello!

Thank you for sharing!

Only this method with 5+ seconds push power button works fine for me as well (13t-ae000)/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.