Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8470p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I would like to know if I can expand my laptop with a Crucial SSD MX500 in addition to my 256GB hard drive

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You can try it but most of the time users report it does not work with a TV. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

See pages 73-76 of the Service Manual here:

Manual 

There is an upgrade bay which allows adding a second 2.5 inch disk in lieu of the DVD drive. See p. 22:

"The upgrade bay can hold a weight-saver option, a hard drive, or an optical drive that reads an optical disc."

Upgrade bay cradle  643921-001

https://www.amazon.it/HP-643921-001-ricambio-per-notebook/dp/B0051W7X8Y/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85...

There is no M.2 slot and I know Crucial makes a 2.5 inch and an M.2 version of the MX500. So yes on the 2.5 inch and no on the M.2. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the answer.

If I understand correctly to expand the hard drive I have to buy:

- HP 643921-001 to put in place of the compact disk player
- Crucial CT500MX500SSD1 Internal SSD MX500 (500Go, 3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 inch) which is the drive

Is that right?

Is the current hard disk still working on this bike? So I have 2 discs.

Is it correct?

Also, since the dock station (but also the laptop) do not have the HDMI output, how can I keep the output for the extra video and have another output for the TV?

Thank you for your kind answer

Ruffino

HP Recommended

Yes if you add a hard drive via the upgrade bay you have 2 working hard drives. The laptop has a DisplayPort port for external video. What docking station are you using and what exactly are you trying to do? 

HP Recommended

The docking station is a HP 90W Dock Station
Serial: CNU312ZK9B
PRODUCT: A7E33AV#ABZ

I want to connect a second monitor (TV) to the dock station. I have already connected a second screen.

Thank you

HP Recommended

So you definitely need an HDMI port for a TV....what ports on the dock are you already using?

Back of your dockBack of your dock

HP Recommended

Currently use:
-External monitor VGA port
- usb port

I would also like to have the user manual for this dock station. I can't find it on the network.

Thank you

HP Recommended

I don't have the Manual for the dock either. I suggest for TV use the DVI-D port with a DVI to HDMI adapter. You will then have to figure out how to get audio to it. 

HP Recommended

DisplayPort connection with adaptator is not good?

HP Recommended

You can try it but most of the time users report it does not work with a TV. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.