Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ60-300 Notebook PC series
Linux

Hi there,

I  would like to upgrade my CPU. Laptop is a Compaq CQ60-300EV.

I saw someone here asked the same question about a different CQ60 series, and they were recommended to get this CPU - Intel® Pentium® Processor T3400

1. Does anyone know if that CPU will be compatible with my version of the CQ60?

2. Also are there are any other or better CPUS you can recommend?

I have also upgraded the RAM to 2 x 2GB, and I am getting an SSD also. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As sure as I have ever been about anything. AMD is AMD and Intel is Intel and never the twain shall meet. 

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

Your top upgrade is an AMD Turion Ultra ZM-82 which is also very inexpensive to buy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TMZM82DAM23GG-AMD-Turion-X2-Ultra-Dual-Core-ZM-82-2-2-GHz-Laptop-CPU/112568...

Why are these so cheap? Because there is just not much demand for older hardware like this. However, this Turion will run rings around either your Sempron or an Intel T3400.

Turion ZM-82:

638 pins S1G2 socket638 pins S1G2 socket

Pentium T3400:

478 pin micro FC-PGA socket478 pin micro FC-PGA socket

See how you cannot put one of these in a socket made for the other??? Page 4-44 shows processor replacement. If you have never done this before there is a technique to it we perhaps need to discuss. 

Post back with any questions but please Accept as Solution if this is the answer you needed. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Official specs say it has an AMD Sempron procesor now? Can't install an Intel processor in the socket which held an AMD. Square peg, round hole. Actually your upgrade options are broader with the AMD as there are not 2 versions of the motherboard. I might try to talk about obsolete hardware and putting money into a money pit, but if you really want to go forward we can make it less obsolete but it will never be good and you will still be frustrated and want a new laptop in a couple months. 

But post back to discuss further. 

HP Recommended

Hey Huffer, 

Thanks for the quick reply!

The current CPU is - AMD Sempron SI-42

On this thread (linked here) the guy had a CQ60 430CA, and he was told to get that Intel chip and he replied saying that he installed it and it worked great. And I then checked on ebay, and you can get it for only $10 from China.

Are you sure that my version of the CQ60 is different enough that it cannot take that CPU?

HP Recommended

As sure as I have ever been about anything. AMD is AMD and Intel is Intel and never the twain shall meet. 

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

Your top upgrade is an AMD Turion Ultra ZM-82 which is also very inexpensive to buy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TMZM82DAM23GG-AMD-Turion-X2-Ultra-Dual-Core-ZM-82-2-2-GHz-Laptop-CPU/112568...

Why are these so cheap? Because there is just not much demand for older hardware like this. However, this Turion will run rings around either your Sempron or an Intel T3400.

Turion ZM-82:

638 pins S1G2 socket638 pins S1G2 socket

Pentium T3400:

478 pin micro FC-PGA socket478 pin micro FC-PGA socket

See how you cannot put one of these in a socket made for the other??? Page 4-44 shows processor replacement. If you have never done this before there is a technique to it we perhaps need to discuss. 

Post back with any questions but please Accept as Solution if this is the answer you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thanks Huffer! I will buy the AMD Turion Ultra ZM-82, and tell you how I get on!

By the way, do I need to update the BIOS to make this work?

And yes you are correct, I have never done this before.

HP Recommended

You do not "need" to. All versions of the BIOS are set to work with any compatible processor. However, it is just "best practice" to update the BIOS before doing a processor upgrade. As for technique, use high quality silver based cooling compound applied sparingly and only on the shiny processor core. Enough to cover but not enough to slop over onto the green board of the processor. Clean up all the dust and such while you are in there and clean the cooling fan blades individually with a Q-tip and good rubbing alcohol and let it thoroughly air dry. 

Good luck to you

HP Recommended

Thanks again Huffer.

I checked here - https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/compaq-presario-cq60-300-notebook-pc-series/3884562...

... and there is no BIOS update available!

Could that be a problem?

Anyhow the CPU is so cheap, it will be an interesting experiment to see how it turns out. 

I got 2x2GB Ram for $10 from Ebay also.

HP Recommended

No problem I said you did not "need" a BIOS update. If you already have the latest there is obviously no update to do. So you are good to go. 

You have this one right?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/compaq-presario-cq60-300-notebook-pc-seri...

HP Recommended

Yes Sir, its the F54 that is already on it. 

HP Recommended

That is the last one they wrote so you are good to go. Good luck again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.