Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15t-ep000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey everyone, so I recently purchased an HP Envy 15 for school (Needed a good laptop with dedicated graphics and enough RAM to run engineering software for school). After about a month of light gaming and downloading CAD software I am already a big chunk into my 512 GB SSD storage and I was wondering if there is any way of upgrading my storage without violating my warranty (i.e. tampering with my device on my own to make this upgrade). I don't know enough about laptop design in general to confidently do this myself, but I don't know if this route is possible through HP. Does anyone have experience with this type of problem? I am just worried that I will fill up my storage within a year, and then lose functionality of my device long before I anticipated without completely wiping some things from my Laptop. I suppose an external HDD for extra storage and backups could work, but certain files on my laptop take up a lot of space already and I access them almost every day (SolidWorks, MATLAB, Steam, etc...). Also, for this specific model, is it possible to upgrade the amount of RAM on the device? I have 2 8GB RAM slots already but if I needed to add more is that replaceable too without violating the warranty, or even the dedicated GPU? I'm all about upgrades and keeping a device for as long as possible, so that as things become obsolete I can upgrade them without putting myself in a financial hole by buying an expensive new device altogether.

I understand this isn't a major issue and I can live without extra storage, but if I can upgrade it affordably I would love to hear how! Thank you anyone who read this, I appreciate it!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The link to your service manual is broken right now so I cannot be real specific but have done quite a bit of this kind of thing. Your memory and storage is upgradeable. You can replace the 512 gig SSD with one as large as your budget allows. 2 TB drives are commonly available. Memory is going to max at 32 gigs (2 x 16) DDR4-2666. The video card is not upgradeable as it is soldered to the motherboard. The warranty will not be affected by doing the RAM and storage upgrade and on most of the recent gaming laptops the Manual actually expressly says that such upgrades are customer authorized. The back cover is not hard to remove to access the upgrade slots. Post back and I will keep looking for the Manual. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The link to your service manual is broken right now so I cannot be real specific but have done quite a bit of this kind of thing. Your memory and storage is upgradeable. You can replace the 512 gig SSD with one as large as your budget allows. 2 TB drives are commonly available. Memory is going to max at 32 gigs (2 x 16) DDR4-2666. The video card is not upgradeable as it is soldered to the motherboard. The warranty will not be affected by doing the RAM and storage upgrade and on most of the recent gaming laptops the Manual actually expressly says that such upgrades are customer authorized. The back cover is not hard to remove to access the upgrade slots. Post back and I will keep looking for the Manual. 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your feedback! I did some more research and since this Laptop has just one storage drive that contains windows 10 OS, I know now that I must ALSO do "SSD Copying" to ensure that my license to windows 10 and all of my settings transfer to the new SSD. Do you understand this process enough to explain to me how safe this is? Are there specific firmware I need to install to do this sort of file transfer, and can I risk altering or destroying my windows 10 OS activation key?

HP Recommended

You do not need to worry about the Key. Windows 10 activates in a whole new way. You can reinstall Windows 10 on that laptop as many times as you wish and it will "just activate". You can do a clean install onto a new SSD in other words. I like clean installs but you can also do a "clone" of the hard disk drive to the new SSD. The SSD needs to be big enough to hold everything that was on the hard drive. Macrium Reflect Free is excellent software for this operation and as it says, is free. I have done this operation countless times and just did it on an HP laptop yesterday so happy to walk you through.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.