Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi people, merry Xmas! I'm just looking for some advice. I currently have a HP pavilion 15, I've had it for a few years now and it's served me great, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a new laptop and need some advice, I like the brand and would like to stay. 

Last year I upgraded the laptop to be better RAM and SSD CT102464BF160B 8Gb DDR3 1600 MHz CL11 to bring it to a total of 16gb of ram https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006YG8X9Y/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_KWYHGX15R7SQ6ZFME9ST

and a SSD Western digital WDS500G2BOA blue 3d NAND internal SSD 2.5 SATA 500gb.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073SBZ8YH/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_BSC8T9THEKK26MD56JEC in fact I actually bought the 1tb version. These are the two components I upgraded. 

Are these two components transferable to most HP laptops? The reason I want to upgrade is I've a few dead pixels on the screen about the size of a thumb nail, a few of the keys are sticky from a drink spillage and the dvd drive is very temperamental, and won't read a whole dvd without ejecting over and over so I figured it'd be better to replace the whole laptop. 

I use the laptop for general scrolling around the Internet for work and often have 10+ tabs open for it, some video editing but nothing too drastic and general gaming, Minecraft and runescape so it could do  to be decent specs. Can anybody help me with a laptop that is pretty good and I could transfer my current upgrades across, I really don't know where to start. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, 

Harvey 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unless you buy a notebook that is sure to come with a 2.5" mechanical hard drive, your SSD won't transfer over.

New notebooks mostly come with SATA or NVMe M.2 SSD's.

The DDR3L memory will not transfer over to any notebook made in the last 5 years.

Notebooks are now using DDR4 memory which runs at a different voltage than DDR3L, has a different number of contact pins and the notch is cut in a different place to prevent the wrong type memory from being installed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unless you buy a notebook that is sure to come with a 2.5" mechanical hard drive, your SSD won't transfer over.

New notebooks mostly come with SATA or NVMe M.2 SSD's.

The DDR3L memory will not transfer over to any notebook made in the last 5 years.

Notebooks are now using DDR4 memory which runs at a different voltage than DDR3L, has a different number of contact pins and the notch is cut in a different place to prevent the wrong type memory from being installed.

HP Recommended

Brilliant, thanks Paul, helpful as always 😁

Appreciate the advice. 

Kind regards,

Harvey 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Harvey.

While there may still be some notebooks around that will come with a 2.5" mechanical hard drive, the ones that come with the M.2 NVMe SSD's will have no less than 3x faster sequential read/write speeds than SATA, and most will have up to 5x the speed.  Just make sure you get one that advertises the M.2 SSD as NVMe and not SATA.

I don't recommend sacrificing performance for the sake of reusing parts.

If you have a desktop PC that comes with a SATA mechanical hard drive, you can install the SSD from your notebook in there, or use your notebook as a backup PC.

Cheers,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.