Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 Convertable 15
Microsoft Windows 11

I would like to drive two HDMI monitors. I asked the HP chat, and he said that there were no HP docking stations with two HDMI ports that would work with HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 15-er0097nr. I have tried two after-market ones and had issues with both. Even though the after-market ones had two HDMI ports, only one would work. So I'm wondering what kind of USB-C port is on my laptop. 

The sales web page says "1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge)"

"SuperSpeed" is supposed to be USB 3.1 Gen 1. However that standard is 5Gbps

10Gbps is supposed to be "SuperSpeed+".

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim W.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Please give us a little detail on the docks you have tried. The video signal out of the USB-C port is DisplayPort so needs to be translated to HDMI. Most docks should handle that fine. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response.

First I tried "j5create USB C Docking Station- Supports up to 3 Display Simultaneously | HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA, 100W PD Fast Charging, Gigabit Ethernet | Comes with Type C Cable Compartment (JCD543)". That would not drive the monitor. It was black and then every once in a while I'd see the desktop. I could swap the HDMI cable to the Laptop HDMI output and it worked, so I assume there is an issue with the docking station driving the HDMI monitor. I even updated the drivers and no luck

Then I tried "Hiearcool USB C Hub,USB-C Laptop Docking Station,11 in 1 Triple Display Type C Adapter Compatiable for MacBook and Windows(2HDMI VGA PD3.0 SD TF Card Reader Gigabit Ethernet 4USB Ports)" . This would drive one HDMI monitor, but the otherone was never powered. I swapped the cables and it still would only drive the primary monitor. I couldn't get the second one to have an input.

I got both these from Amazon.

Next I called HP Chat, and was told that HP doesn't make a docking station for this laptop with 2 HDMI ports.

Thanks,

Tim W.

HP Recommended

Honestly, either of those should work. Now tell me about your monitors. I assume they have no DP input? What resolution are they?

HP Recommended

@timothypwalker 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c07117944

HP USB-C Gen 5 dock is a good candidate for your need, you can connect to 3 monitors and you can use single cable solution.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The monitors are ASUS VS278.

I'm driving the Monitors through a KVM switch (CKL HDMI KVM 2 Port 4K 30Hz Dual Monitor Extended Display (CKL-922HUA))

I can switch cables on the KVM switch and it doens't change the behavior.

Since the KVM switch only has HDMI connectors, I'm reluctant to change it.

I'm willing to try another brand of Docking station, if you know of one with two HDMI portsthat you have used.

Thanks,

Tim W.

HP Recommended

I'm using a KVM switch with only HDMI connectors. The G5 only has one HDMI port.

I suppose I could buy a Display port to HDMI adapter. I'd prefer to not have to.

Thanks,

Tim W.

HP Recommended

I bought another JCD543 at Best Buy.

I downloaded the driver before plugging in.

I rebooted the laptop.

I plugged in the JCD543, still no Video. This time I don't even get the flicker.

My conclusion is that my laptop is not supported by JC5create.

I'm now Zero for three.

There appears to be something about that HP USB-C port that is incompatible with the standard.

What should I try next?

Thanks,

Tim

HP Recommended

[RESOLVED] For some reason the Hiercool Multiport USB-C Hub Adapter started working.

So I have a solution now. The J5create hub never worked.

HP Recommended

[NOT RESOLVED] I could not get the Hiercool Multiport USB-C Hub Adapter started working after a reset.  There must be a magic sequence.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.