Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power 15-cb015ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I bought a new laptop 2017 on a modern platform. But why does it not  support the 16GB  RAM memory by a single chip.

I bought RAM Crucial 16GB DDR4 SODIMM PC4-19200 [CT16G4SFD824A]. Then install it to my new laptop. He is not working. Only "Caps Lock" indicator random flashing.

Processor Intel Core i7 7700HQ supports up to 64GB of RAM. The Intel Kaby Lake platform supports up to 64GB of RAM. But my laptop not working with 24GB. And not working with the one 16GB DDR4 SODIMM chip.

PS: I'm very upset with my HP purchase. I bougt my new HP - it's throw money to wind. This is my fourth HP laptop (after HP Compaq nc6110, HP Compaq nx6110, HP Pavilion dv6-3040er). Previews models were good for their time, especially dv6-3040er. Bun now, with Power 15-cb015ur... I would not like HP any more. Dell laptops with similar configuration have a better screen and supports up to 32GB. (((

PSS: Is this HP policy? If you buy a laptop for about 1000 US dollars, are you a beggar? Do i must now to endure humiliation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there! @doctorguga, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you would like to know the maximum memory supported on your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

I have checked the specifications of your laptop.

There are Two SODIMM slots, which is not customer accessible or upgradeable.

And maximum memory supported on your PC is 16 GB with the following configurations:

DDR4-2400 dual channel support

● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2)
● 12288-MB total system memory (8192×1) + (4096×1)
● 8192-MB total system memory (8192×1) or (4096×2) 
● 6144-MB total system memory (4096×1) + (2048×1) 
● 4096-MB total system memory (4096×1)

Refer the laptop maintenance and service guide for more information.

Note: Refer page 1 for more information.

Also, refer the product specifications page of your laptop for more information.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

PS PS: HP, give me my money back!

HP Recommended

Hey there! @doctorguga, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you would like to know the maximum memory supported on your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

I have checked the specifications of your laptop.

There are Two SODIMM slots, which is not customer accessible or upgradeable.

And maximum memory supported on your PC is 16 GB with the following configurations:

DDR4-2400 dual channel support

● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2)
● 12288-MB total system memory (8192×1) + (4096×1)
● 8192-MB total system memory (8192×1) or (4096×2) 
● 6144-MB total system memory (4096×1) + (2048×1) 
● 4096-MB total system memory (4096×1)

Refer the laptop maintenance and service guide for more information.

Note: Refer page 1 for more information.

Also, refer the product specifications page of your laptop for more information.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It not helps me. 

1. How can I increase the memory to 32GB?

2. Where is the restriction? In the motherboard? In the bios?

3. Why in the modern model with a processor and platform up to 64GB can I upgrade to  only maximum of 16GB?

PS: Your link to the service guide from another model. And link to the product description is broken.

HP Recommended

@doctorguga, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

1. You cannot increase the memory to 32gb as it is motherboard limitation.

2. It is a hardware configuration set on the system board due to which you cannot upgrade the memory.

3. Please find the link for laptop service guide.

Also, you can try opening the laptop specification page after sometime. As there are some issues with the website.

Take Care!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It is very unpleasant. The laptop of the new 2017 line does not support modern equipment.

It's unpleasant to know this after buying. Because this data is nowhere to be found before buying.

I'm dissatisfied with the fact that I bought a new HP.

HP Recommended

@doctorguga,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any. 
You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 
Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Regards

Mr.Robot

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The manager called me, but did not decide anything. He says that's impossible. And not resolve my problem.

But as a result, I installed 16 GB with one card.

WAY:

A new bios has been released on the official HP site .

I've updated BIOS from f.10 to f.13.

Today I bought RAM Patriot Signature Line 16GB DDR4 SODIMM PC4-19200 PSD416G24002S. Seller plug RAM in.

All is ok, notebook works good.

PS: HP, please regularize your drivers soft and your support!

HP Recommended

Hallo Doctorguga, so your problem is solved? Can you uprade to 32GB ram now? I am interested if i can do it possibly in the future too with my HP Power Pavillion CB004NC. Thank you. 

HP Recommended

Hello, dear friend!

First RAM was defective. After a while, I updated the BIOS and all the drivers. And I bought another 16 GB RAM (one chip). The system began to work OK.

But I sold that laptop and bought another one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.