Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-f272wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Why were consumers not notified that the HP 15-f272wm didn't/ doesn't come with any fans? This was discoverd when the HDD was replaced and explains on why the system gets really hot and causes a heat rash on my lap during traveling. Had there been a notice or a sticker on the box stating that there was a fan I would not had bought this product due do the possibility of overheating and burning. I have dealt with HP customer service in the past and always had the issue resolved the issues. However, since this seems to be a deisgn flaw I am not sure how this will be resolved unless there is a burn case that brought up. Mobile devices have caused severe burns and have exploded in the hands and laps of consumers for lack of cooling.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Thank you for posting your concerns on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your matters to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They may request for some additional information from you in order to look up your case or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Please keep in mind not to post any personal information publicly (serial numbers, phone numbers, and etc.). If you have any additional questions please send me a private message. Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

According to the Service Manual the fan is on the underneath side of motherboard- which would not be visible when replacing the hard drive. The motherboard must be removed and turned over to access/replace fan:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04763947

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I removed the board when I was removed the board and there was not any fan and prior to posting this I searched the HP forums and it would seem that I am not the only person to discover this there was a "HP Expert" @ that stated that "NO FAN because this CPU is classified under Bay-Trail model" to a different user with the same Intel processor model codename with the same graphic's and posted this link http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/55844/Bay-Trail#@All which means that since this series also falls under the same catagory that this model and any models listed on the Intel site that carry intergrated graphics and that are sold by HP DO NOT HAVE A FAN, unless the previous "HP Expert" was incorrect. I have no issue with having to install a fan or any part for that matter but my issue is that there was not a fan installed anywhere in this laptop. One of the big reasons for getting this laptop was the option to upgrade to a faster proscessor should the need to arise for more processing power vs the APU which have the soldered processors and require one to spend even more money to replace the board or computer altogether as well. But this lack of oversight cannot be overlooked when it comes to saftey of the consumer whether through design flaw or personel error this is unacceptable. It would seem that HP has gone down hill as far as consumer saftey and satifaction in the past 7 years because all I am seeing is end user complaints in consumer and tech reviews from servers to desktops to laptops I quit buying Toshibas due to repeated oversites and not contacting consumers of recalled parts I will do the same to any company that refuses to acknowlege there mistakes wheather it is a tech company or health care company. 

HP Recommended

@banhien is correct about no fan with the Bay Trail cpu. The Service Manual  I looked at is general to several HP 15 models using Intel Pentium and Intel Celeron cpus plus  i3 cpu. The models with i3 would have the fan. Sorry for the confusion in not realizing which cpu you have.

I tested a different model with Intel Pentium N3540 for about 15 months-no fan- and although I was sceptical at first I didn't see any heat issues.

HP Recommended

I use this laptop very heavily for my medical information and my entertainment. If I am doing very basic stuff it is fine the problem arises when more complex tasks are needed and the processor overclocks itself and starts running over the 2.13 ghz mark. After running for about15 min at the overclocked mark it gets really hot hot enough to burn some people that are heat sensitive which is cause for alarm and is why I would like this issue addressed and resolved BEFORE it does cause a legal issue. (removed content)

HP Recommended

Honestly, when someone is looking for a laptop to use "very" heavily they should look past a $300 laptop with Intel Pentium or Celeron cpu.

If you have a legal complaint, that is beyond the scope of this forum which is manned mostly by other HP owners and a few paid HP agents to offer help within limits.You can contact HP using the link below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-15-f200-Notebook-PC-series/7527799/model/8888505

HP Recommended

I went there in the fist place and was brought here. As far as legality issues this entire site is monitored by HP employees and anything posted on this site becomes legal property of HP if one were to read the terms of service.  As for the heat issue the i3 uses roughly the same amount of power as the Pentium series as the i series is built off of the pentium techknology as is the celeron and atom. But when a PC maxes out the processor buy playing a DVD or running a program that runs fine on a first gen intel quad core or on the intel core duo there is an issue as those processors required more power with less processing even an AMD Semprom from 2005 runs the programs fine all these programs are over 7 years old execpt for the preinstalled programs and you want to tell me that it is due to a dollar sign when the specs in this computer more that beat that in my custom built AMD k6 tower. The AMD k6 tower runs the same programs with no issue or lag the only real difference is that the os is Windows Vista x86. The fact that HP decieded to save the few dollars instead of install a fan to cool the device will most likely cost them more in the long run when people get first dreee burns from the lack of cooling.

processors for the HP 15 Series:
 Intel Core i3-4030U, 1.9 GHz, 1333 MHz/3 MB L2 cache, 15 W ● Intel Core i3-4010U, 1.7 GHz, 1333 MHz/3 MB L2 cache, 15 W ● Intel Core i3-4005U, 1.7 GHz, 1333 MHz/3 MB L2 cache, 15 W ● Intel Pentium N3540, 2.16 GHz, turbo up to 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz/2 MB L2 cache, 4.5 W ● Intel Pentium N3530, 2.16 GHz, turbo up to 2.58 GHz, 1333 MHz/2 MB L2 cache, 4.5 W ● Intel Celeron N2940, 1.83 GHz, turbo up to 2.25 GHz, 1333 MHz/2 MB L2 cache, quad SDP, 4.5 W ● Intel Celeron N2840, 2.16 GHz, turbo up to 2.25 GHz, 1333 MHz/2 MB L2 cache, 4.5 W ● Intel Celeron N2830, 1.83 GHz, turbo up to 2.41 GHz, 1333 MHz/2 MB L2 cache, 4.5 W

and as one knows or should know the more a processor has to work the hotter it gets which is why when overclocking came out people burned out thier boards and processors (this should be common knolege and should not need to be said if one has any education or traing for CIS or networking)

HP Recommended

@williamstiffin ;

No one that can do anything about this from HP, is going to read any of these discussions.

If you want to be heard by HP, then I suggest you contact the HP executive team at the link below.

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

HP Recommended

Hello Thank you for posting your concerns on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your matters to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They may request for some additional information from you in order to look up your case or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Please keep in mind not to post any personal information publicly (serial numbers, phone numbers, and etc.). If you have any additional questions please send me a private message. Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.