Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6 - 1425ec
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there , I have a question.

Can my laptop HP Pavilion dv6 - 1425ec run on  : Intel® Core™2 Duo T9900 3.06-GHz with 6-MB L2 cache and 1066-MHz front side bus (FSB)  ?

My laptop have stock processor :  Intel Pentium® Dual-Core T4300 2.10-GHz with 1-MB L2 cache and 800-MHz FSB

(I found it on "HP Pavilion dv6 Entertainment PC Maintenance and Service Guide", stock OS : Win7 Home Premium 64-bit)

Socket is same . Is BIOS supporting new processor ? (ver. of BIOS -  T.43)

And how many GB (and max. frequency of each one) of DDR3 RAM support this laptop ?

(Sorry for bad English , hope you will understand)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes it will take 2 x 4 gig of DDR3 SO-DIMM. The list in the Manual of processors is all you can use. No quad cores. You cannot change the GPU. It's soldered on. The BIOS is not a problem, though you may want to update. All BIOS support all the listed CPUs. You are using DDR3-1333 modules now and that type of 4 gig module will work fine.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here is your Service Manual:

Manual

The T9900 is listed as a compatible processor. Further, there is only one chipset listed the PM45 and GM45, depending on if you have dedicated or integrated video but in either case will support T9900. 

The issue is that the Manual says DDR2 memory. I know from experience however that somewhere in the dv6-1000 series production run they started using DDR3. Check your modules. Either way (DDR2 or DDR3) the maximum memory is going to be 8 gigs (2 x 4) and if it is DDR3 it is DDR3-1066. 

4 gig modules of DDR2 are crazy expensive...well over $100US for a pair. I actually have a Lenovo laptop with this chipset and a T9900 and 8 gigs DDR2 and I have to say it does not seem to have been improved much by the increase from 4 to 8 gigs of RAM. 

Post back if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

My chipset is PM45, and i have dedicated GPU(ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650).

My RAMs are DDR3 (ELPIDA 2GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600S-9-10-F1     , x2) each one have max. frequency 667MHz.

So is that possible to upgrade it to 2x4GB max. 1066MHz ? 

About CPU. So Is that possible to change it to T9900 (and without upgrading BIOS) ? (I worry about BIOS , If it support it ).

I know I'm asking so much sorry for that .

Is possible to change dedicated GPU ? I don't have any experience with changing dedicated GPU on lapptops.

And last question . Is it supporting quad-core CPUs ? Or it only supports CPUs written in taht document ?

(Again sorry for bad english)

HP Recommended

Yes it will take 2 x 4 gig of DDR3 SO-DIMM. The list in the Manual of processors is all you can use. No quad cores. You cannot change the GPU. It's soldered on. The BIOS is not a problem, though you may want to update. All BIOS support all the listed CPUs. You are using DDR3-1333 modules now and that type of 4 gig module will work fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.