Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-f010wm Notebook J8A22UA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Had this problem after installing the latest Windows 10 update. Seem to have a problem with the touchpad and external mouse I use. Periodically and unprovoked the cursor on screen will click and move around vertically.  The only way to stop this is if I hold a finger on the touchpad. I've reinstalled & updated the drivers, ran latest windows updates, reinstalled Windows 10, used a different wireless mouse. No remedy. Reached out to Microsoft since they corrected the issue aftera previous update but it's appeared again. After reaching out to Microsoft support, they suggest:

"With the PC that you have, the touchpad driver for Windows 10 is not available, the touchpad will only be listed as downloadable if we change the version of Windows from HP website to Windows 8.1 so meaning that there's a compatibility issue between the touchpad's driver and the version of Windows you are using right now, so here's my recommendation instead, please get in touch with HP."

HP has no solutions for updated driver compatibility. Anything you suggest?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@bsorensen101

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand that you are facing the issue with the touchpad driver, need not worry I'll be glad to assist you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Are you facing this issue after an update?

How long are you facing this issue?

Have you tried to do any changes in the settings?

First, restart the computer and tap on F10 during restart, once on BIOS screen, move the mouse cursor around to check if it works normally, 

If it does, it would confirm a software issue and you follow the below steps if it doesn't work on its a hardware failure and I would suggest a touchpad replacement. 

I recommend you to uninstall any generic synaptic drivers showing up for the touchpad (if available) under hidden devices from the device manager: 

• Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt. 

• At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER: 

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 

• Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER: 

start devmgmt.msc 

• Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager. 
    NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer. 

• When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager. 

• Type exit at the command prompt. 

Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices. 

And then download a new version of the synaptic drivers using this link: Click here  

Keep me posted, how it goes! 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Appreciate the reply @raj1788.   To answer your questions,

Are you facing this issue after an update? -- This error has appeared  after a larger Windows 10 update (8 months ago as well as within the past 4-6 weeks) Which is likely a sign that drivers for the touchpad are needing an update. This isn't something that I can create and apply as a patch on my end as they need to come from HP.

How long are you facing this issue? This issue was ongoing about 8 months ago until it was resolved by reinstalling Windows 10 and updating the touchpad drivers.   Then it's appeared recently but nothing I've done on my own or with Microsoft has corrected it.

Have you tried to do any changes in the settings? Somewhat vague question as there's settings for a lot of things. To work best as a team, will you clarify?   I've diabled the touchpad, checked for Windows updates and touchpad driver updates. I've adjusted the sensitivity of touchpad. Tried only using touchpad and no external wireless mouse. No relef yet.

HP Recommended

@bsorensen101

Thanks for the reply.

Uninstall the touchpad drivers from the device manager.

1. Press Windows+X to open the menu, and choose Device Manager on it. 

2. In the device manager, expand category "Mice and other pointing devices". 

3. Under this category, right click on your Synaptics Touchpad driver and click on Uninstall. 

4. You may be required to confirm the uninstallation. Check the box next to "Delete the driver software for this device" and click OK button. 

5. Restart your PC for the change to take effect. After restarting. Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver. 

6. Do not perform any manual upgrades to the driver until it does automatically 

And check if this works, if not follow the below steps and run the Mouse and touchpad test.

Follow steps to open the Component Tests menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu
  4. The Component Tests menu displays.

Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Figure : Sample list of Component Tests

Sample List of the Component tests

Mouse/Touchpad Tests - There are two mouse tests to determine if the mouse is functioning correctly - the Pointer Test and the Drag and Drop Test.

To run the tests, click Mouse/Touchpad. Select the test you want to run, and then click Run once. Follow the instructions to complete the test.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi @Raj1788 Appreciate the additional steps of uninstalling and testing the touchpad.  The problem with the cursor being skittish still is present.

Hope it helps to visually see what's happening.  The movement stops if I hold my finger on the touchpad.

https://youtu.be/HGnmtYWm9E4

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HGnmtYWm9E4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HP Recommended

@bsorensen101

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please help me with the result on the Touch pad test.

If the Touch pad test is passed, use this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-15-f000-notebook-pc-series/7137590/mod... and update the BIOS.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

@Raj1788 followed your suggested steps and the touchpad test was cleared as working and functional. Updated the firmware BIOS and will see if the concern persists.

HP Recommended

@bsorensen101

Fantastic!

I'll be glad to assist you if you need further assistance.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I come bearing bad news. The glitch still is happening; possibly even worse as the cursor now righ-clicks (previously it would only left-click).

What's your suggested steps @raj1788?

HP Recommended

@bsorensen101

Thanks for the reply.

I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.