Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion X360 M
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Keyboard and trackoad stopped working on x360 convertible laptop. USB mouse & keyboard work fine. Stopped working after RAM upgrade and software update done on same day. Keyboard works fine before Windows boots can get into BIOS and the HP diagnostic tests. Keyboard and mouse function and pass HP tests. Updating drivers didn't work. Two recent restore points show keyboard and mouse software as affected programs however attempting recovery receive message that it is unable to complete due to the anti-virus software being on even though Defender is disabled.
18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hello BulbaBravo,

In terms of the recovery, it means that you are using another anti-virus program besides Defender. 

So you're completely sure that the laptop is not in tablet mode? You can check in the Action Center (clicking in the bottom right-hand corner).

Also please navigate to Device Manager and expand Keyboards and Mice and other pointing devices. Then proceed to uninstall both of the devices that are listed underneath. (Make sure it is the internal hardware, not the external mouse/keyboard).

Regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended
Hi Eddy,

McAfee was previously uninstalled the same day as the update and RAM upgrade. There is no other anti-virus installed that's why Defender was turned on originally.

I am not in tablet mode.

Drivers have been uninstalled previously through device manager then later updated. I've just uninstalled them again through device manager in case the driver updates were corrupt and still the trackpad and keyboard still do not work.
HP Recommended

Hello BulbaBravo,

Could you boot into safe mode and see if it works there?

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c03439317

Regards,

Eddy

HP Recommended
No the keyboard and trackpad still do not work in safe mode. Outside of Windows trying to start safe made they were able to work as soon as Windows loaded (even in Safe Mode) they stopped.
HP Recommended

Hello BulbaBravo,

I'm kinda stumped. I think the software update did it. Can I please know the version/OS build of Windows 10 you're running. (Settings > System > About)

Also please just do a run-through of the steps here: https://windowsreport.com/laptop-keyboard-not-working-windows-10/

If you need a quick resolution, I would recommend a reset.

Regards,

Eddy

HP Recommended
I've done all the steps so far except checking for over updates I'll let you know when that's set and if there's any change or not.

Windows 10 version is 1709 build is 16299.248
HP Recommended
Unfortunately the update did not help either.
HP Recommended

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE . I ALSO UPGRADE MY RAM FROM 4 GB TO 8GB AND UPDATE MY WINDOWS AND AFTER UPDATE MY KEYBOARD IS NOT WORKING AND AS LIKE YOUR ISSUE .ITS WORKING TO ENTER IN BIOS MODE AND HARDWARE IS SHOWING FINE ALL CHECKS DONE EVERYTHING IS FINE. BUT ITS STILL NOT WORKING..PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU FIND SOLUTION TO THIS.

THANKS

HP Recommended

Its the elan driver update, if you keep the laptop disconnected from the internet it works but the moment it made the automatic updates or the elan driver install it stop working, i tried at least 5 times reinstalling from scratch and also blocking the hardware updates without luck.

ddd.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.