Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp envy dv6
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

synaptics touchpad enhancements consumer 5% cpu continuously.  I do not use the enhanced features.  How can I disable the synaptics touchpad enhancements?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @defaultname1 ,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I hope your enjoy your experience with us.

I have been looking into your request about disabling the Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements. There doesn't appear to way to just disable the enhancements. This HP document Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad will show you how to disable some gestures and customize the TouchPad.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

synaptics touchpad enhancements uses 5% CPU on my dvt laptop.  I can manually kill that process, which seems to have little effect.  Can I prevent that process from starting?  I do not use the touchpad enhancements, and there is another process "synaptics Pointing device Helper" still running.  I think it odd that touchpad enhancements use 1/20 of a 4-core CPU.  Synaptics web page says to contact the manufacturer.

HP Recommended

Hi @jdja ,

The only other thing I have for you, besides the document that I have already gave you, is to remove it from your Start Up list.

This third-party link will show you how to disable items in your Start Up list. I don't know if doing this will cause you an problems with your TouchPad or not.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

The Synaptics Touchpad Enhancements do not show as a startup item in the start up list.  That's why I asked the question.  Your post does not address my question, as it is not correct.  Does HP offer any support for their proprietaty mods to the Synaptics driver?  Is there any documentation available?  Can we find out how the Enhancements process is launched?

HP Recommended

Open your start menu / screen.

Search for "Task Scheduler" and open it.

One of the entries in there will be called "Synaptics Touchpad Enhancements".  Right-click and choose disable.  You can also right-click and ask it to end.

For what it's worth I have the same problem as you with the touchpad enhancements, but do make use of two finger scrolling.  That definitely stops working when you disable the enhancements.

Frankly it's disappointing that HP

a) doesn't seem to offer much in the way of technical help here - if they had a HP laptop available they'd know that the solution offered to you didn't help

and

b) clearly doesn't use the hardware we're using since they'd also run into these common problems

Anyway, since you don't want or use the gestures I hope this is of help 🙂

Cheers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.