Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Product Name: Pavilion 13 x360 Notebook

Operating System: Windows8

I have been using the notebook for just 2 weeks and have noticed that the keyboard becomes unresponsive randomly.  Touchscreen keyboard works ok but actual keyboard stops working.  None of the keys incl. function keys work.

Sometimes switching apps like opening mail and typing into a new message window solves the problem but only temporarily.  Rebooting allows use of keyboard but only for entering sign on password and then stops working once on home screen.

Please advise.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @ritz11

Welcome to the HP Support Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I saw your post regarding the keyboard becoming unresponsive at time and there are a few things that we can look at. Start by doing a Hard Reset as I have seen this resolve other odd keyboard issues. If that doesn't work look at uninstalling the keyboard driver. Go to your Device Manager and expand Keyboards and then right click the keyboard there and select Uninstall. Then restart the notebook and Windows will automatically reinstall the driver.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

hi again,

Thanks for your suggestions. I discovered something recently that led me to a resolution and thought I would update this as it seems to be a common issue.

The keyboard issues only seemed to present itself with a standard user and never for an Admin user.  This would indicate it is not a hardware issue but something to do with the OS settings.  I noticed that for standard users the "filter keys" setting was turned on and for Admin, it wasn't.  I looked into this further and turned off this setting through the Ease of Access settings in Control Panel.

First time I did it, keyboard was fine but as soon as I restarted, the setting would come back.  So I went back into Ease of Access settings and changed the "sign-in" settings as an Admin.  I restarted and the problem seems to have gone away.

I will report back if it comes back, however, at this point this was not related to a driver/hardware issue but accessibility options, which had filter keys on at startup.

Hope this helps some of you!

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying to your own post, I've been working on my own for over an hour... nothing has worked BUT this!!!

Who knows how long it'll last but it's working now!

Thanks for clueing me in!

HP Envy x360 Windows 10 User

HP Recommended
Genius thank you. Even the "geek" squad couldn't figure this out on a day old computer!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.