Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello, first time post. I would like to upgrade my HDD. I have a spare Samsung 1TB SSD but was wondering

if my laptop has the facility to have a m.2 SSD installed.

I can't find the manual for the laptop (m6-1211ea) online.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can find the service manual for your notebook at the link below.

HP ENVY m6-1200 Notebook PC series Manuals | HP® Customer Support

Only 2.5" drives are supported, so if you want to install a SSD, you would need to replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.

Definitely worth it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can find the service manual for your notebook at the link below.

HP ENVY m6-1200 Notebook PC series Manuals | HP® Customer Support

Only 2.5" drives are supported, so if you want to install a SSD, you would need to replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.

Definitely worth it.

HP Recommended

I've added a SSD to my desktop pc before and the difference in speed was amazing so i'm looking to do the same with my laptop. Will do that over the weekend sometime. Can't wait to see the resulting speed😎

Thank you.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't know what storage capacity you need, but this 500 GB model provides the best performance for the price, IMHO.

Western Digital WDS500G2B0A WD Blue 3D NAND Internal SSD 2.5 Inch SATA, 500 GB: Amazon.co.uk: Comput...

560 MB read/530 MB write

HP Recommended

The SSD I installed (2016) in my desktop was a crucial 240GB which  has been running fine so purchased same brand but in 1TB size from ccl for the laptop. It was that or the samsung 1TB SSD.

HP Recommended

Those are good too.

I bought a Crucial P5 M.2 NVMe SSD for my Dell Optiplex 7050 MT desktop PC a little while back.

I thought SATA SSD"s were fast.  NVMe drives are...wow!

HP Recommended

Yes I've looked at the read/write speeds for NVMe SSD's they look blazingly fast even compared to 2.5 SSD's.

My laptop HDD reads/writes at 97/94MB/s and the crucial SSD I plan to install reads 560MB/s Writes 510MB/s.

These rates are tripled when it comes to NVMe SSD's.

In my desktop I've loaded the OS onto the SSD with few of my software and kept the HDD as a secondary drive.

However when it comes to installing the SSD in my laptop, I'm going to throw all my stuff on there

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.