Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I received a response dated July 11- I  had posted months ago about my laptop screen falling apart.  I got a stock response from Omar-E who said he was going to refer my problem to someone. Now I got an e-mail saying there was a response, but I searched the link they sent me and I see NO response.

So- my laptop was in for a fix in the first few months i  dropped it. They supposedly fixed the crack by replaing the entire case.  When it was returned the screws came out and the top started separating. There were little black dots that were supposed to cover the screws, bit one fell off and there was no screw under the little cover. Guess the repair person was too busy to put the screw back. So I had to return it again, and this time they said there was a part that had to be ordered, and it took weeks to get the laptop back. Then a few months later, everytime I lifted the laptop you could hear something rolling around inside. I called and reported this and got a claim number.  Then one day it stopped rolling around and so I thought whatever was loose just got hung up on something inside and would stay there. So, I cancelled the claim. i also did not want to give my laptop up for a liong time again. 

Then the clicking started. Everytime you would open the laptop it would make a cracking noise. Then the screen started separating on the corners and then at the actual hinge. If laptops can be made that snap apart, they should beable to make one that stays together. I was always afraid to open my laptop. I felt like I was doing something wrong, but you have to move the screen to open the laptop.

This would be made worse by being told that $250 will fix the problem.  I asked the rep if HP had addressed this obvious problem, because I  would not pay for a repair for the same quality that i have now since it will obviously not last for over a year, and then I can pay for the repair again??? Excuse ME!

My former HP laptop separated. It was larger and had a thicker and stronger case, but the hinge on one side still separated. That one was not ever dropped.

so what is up with the laptops coming apart????

I posted that I fixed mine with Sugru. I got it from Target.  I would like to believe that HP is somehow concerned about my problem, but despite this stock answer online - I have not had any response from a real person. But, the email that I did receive asked me post Kudos for the response that i never received.

What a joke

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

I went back and looked at your original post and you seemed to say you had fixed the problem with some adhesive product. Who repaired the laptop after it was dropped? An HP technician left out a screw or you had somebody else do the repair? I am confused. 

HP Recommended

An HP technician repaired the laptop-  then I had to send it in again in less than one month for the second repair since the case screen cover was messed up- like I said the little black 'dots" that cover the screws kept coming off and sticking to the bottom of the case near the keyboard and the one screen screw was missing, and when I lifted the laptop open it would crack.

Then when I got it back I had the fan noise issue and clicking- then one of the lower case screws fell out when I moved the laptop to my kitchen counter. I also had some problems plugging in the charger.  I heard the screw fall because I have hardwood floors. I fixed that screw. Then there was something loose inside the case- whenever I lifted it you could hear something moving inside the lower case. If you turned the laptop left to right it would slide around inside.  I assumed that your HP tech also left something else loose enough to come free inside the case. I figured since it was nearly 1 month for the second repair (since they had to orer some part) that I would just ignore the noise since I figured it may be fixed incorrectly again. it should not have had something slipping inside the case. I figured as long as the laptop was functioning properly I would disregard the "inside slipping rattle noise" because of the inconvenience of the time delay from the second repair.

All of my repair calls were handled through Costco "concierge service and are documented in their computer for my calls to them. This is good for me so it's not a "he said, she said" situation. I did call about the noise and the loose "whatever" inside the case and they bottom screw falling out, but then cancelled with Costco stating that if they screw finally found a resting place and nothing was malfunctioning I would cancel that last repair request.  it was under warranty when I made that call. But the screen was not racking apart. The little "tiny" screws in the screen cover obviously don't have enough plastic to really hold the screen together- but the hinges separating from the screen top are ridiculous. I felt like I was doing something wrong to have this issue with 2 different laptops. PLEASE - I am extremely  gentle with my laptop.

I am looking at a MAC to replce this 6t-1100.

I also saw a commercial for a new HP laptop last night (how ironic) and the first thing that i looked at was the large cupped shaped hinges on the item and watched the top close and look real slim in the video. Then I wondered how long it would take them to stop working and start cracking apart. That is how your commercial affected me, and I am sure that  all of the other people who have had this horrific problem are feeling it too. I think it is time for a class action suit.  I don't have $800.00 to spend every 2 years when my laptop starts disintegrating. HP needs to realize this is THEIR problem and certainly disregarding quality control will eventually cost more for the reputation of their products.

When I called about this repair that was no longer covered under my 2 years of coverage your Rep assured me how I could count on HP to fix my laptop. I told him my older model also cracked apart on only one side but is was also the top case hinge. . It was never dropped. I told him when he told me that HP would replace the top case cover for the repair charge of $250 that I feared that the same problem would happen with the replacement. I asked him if they would take the time to put the screws back into the case correctly or if they would coe out again?  And I asked him if they had done any "quality control" addressing this problem with whoever was manufacturing this case cover since it obviously sucks. He did not address any of my questions.  He put me on hold but then cme back to tell me nothing except that the repair charge would apply- even though HP techs had supposedly fixed it twice.

HP Recommended

I actually have one of those "world's thinnest" new laptops and the screen hinge design should prevent what happened to yours. Most people looking at it don't understand what is happening. It is not the plastic but the hinges. The seize up and get too hard to move and when that happens it puts all kind of torque and stress on the plastic resulting in separation, screws getting stripped, etc. I am sure dropping it did not help but if HP fixed the damage fro the drop and charged you for it they should stand behind that repair. 

I am not HP. I am a volunteer but I can TRY to escalate this. I have to be honest and say I will have no knowledge or control over what hapens then but I will do all that is in my power. A point of advice. Ditch the threats of class action. No quicker way to get yourself moved to the back of the line or forgotten altogether. If nothing I do helps, enjoy your Mac. If you think that brand has no problems then you are drinking their Kool-Aid I am afraid to say but good luck. 

HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
HP Recommended

I have HP envy 17 that is 11 months old. It was sent to Indiana to be fixed because the screen is separating from the back. The technician said I had dropped it ( I didn't) and it would cost $708. to fix. There is stress opening and closing and I didn't abuse it in any way. HP has a design flaw ( no, I'm not an engineer) and refuses to acknowledge the problem.

HP Recommended

@Ziggy16

Hello Thank you for posting your concerns on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your matters to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They may request for some additional information from you in order to look up your case or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Please keep in mind not to post any personal information publicly (serial numbers, phone numbers, and etc.). If you have any additional questions please send me a private message. Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

Its obvious that HP is aware of the problem and is denying it or offering embarrassing low buy-out coupons ($125-150) off purchase of another HP unit. Why buy HP if they don't honor their warranty?

HP Recommended

I am having a similar problem. I have an HP 17.3 inch laptop that is only about two months old. It was working fine and my husband went to shut it and he felt resistance. He stopped and never actually shut it because as he would lower the screen you could see that it was separating in the lower right corner. I called HP and the guy I talked to said he could send me a box to send the computer in for repair. I told him that I was concerned because when I closed it I was afraid it would damage the computer because it appeared to be separating at the lower edge.  He said it had to be shut to put it in the box and that was okay. He told me that the hinges don't support the larger screens well and that he sees this problem frequently. So I sent it back and now the HP technichan is saying that we caused the damage. I am so mad and insulted by HP I could cry. We have six people in our family and currently have five HP computers. I have been a loyal customer over the years and can not believe I am being treated this way.

HP Recommended

Its shameful that HP knows there is a design flaw and is denying it. They said mine was dropped (it wasn't). I have this on my lap on  the couch and it was never abused. The bean-counters and lawyers  decide that its cheaper to lie to their customers than fix the problems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.