Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have been facing the problem that I am going to describe since a couple of months a go. My wife also have HP Computer and had the same problem for the last 4 months. The problem is basically that when the computer is on, it is consuming the battery, but not working on the AC source and the battery is not charging. The battery symbol on the screen shows that it is not charging and the light next to the conector for the AC cable is white.

Therefore, when the battery is over, the computer turns off, even if the AC cable is connected all the time. When it turns off then the battery starts charging and the light is orange. Once the battery has some charge I can turn on the computer again, but the situation will be the same: it will work on the battery, even if the cable is connected, and it will turn off once the battery is over.

The cable is ok, because it works perfectly with my daughter's computer (which is also HP). It is correctly connected always and I have also updated the drivers and even set the original HP battery settings, just in case. The battery in my computer is integrated and I cannot manipulate it without opening it, but my wife's computer has a removable battery and I already tried to remove it, then press the start button for 15 seconds and try to reboot it without the battery and it does not turn on. I have to put the battery again, charge it and work on that.

This is very bad because I can only work during the time allowed by the battery. After that I need to stop and charge it again.

Let's see if somebody can help me with this.

Best,

Jos

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Josutxo This could either be an adapter connector on the motherboard or the supply voltage isn't sufficient on the laptops with the issue, either way, you may want to contact HP support to discuss your options to get the device repaired as this is a definitive hardware malfunction.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Josutxo Seems like the charger port isn't working, as it isn't charging the battery, either that or the battery has failed, I suggest we run a quick test on the battery using the below steps to identify and resolve the issue:

The maximum capacity of a battery changes over time. Because of this change in battery capacity, the charge level indicator in Windows might not show 100% charged. To know the condition of your battery, use the steps in this document to test your battery and calibrate it if necessary. Calibrating the battery resets the battery gauge to accurately display the charge level in Windows. In this document, two methods of testing and calibrating the battery are explained. Also, a manual method for calibrating the battery is presented.

NOTE: 

Depending on which version of Windows or Diagnostics you are using, the information and graphics in this document might vary slightly.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi and thanks a lot for yout advice. Well, the battery is charging because that's what I am living on 🙂 When the computer is turned off the battery charges completely and the light showing that it is charging (orange) is there. But then, when I turn on the computer, it is not charging any more and the computer is not powered. Therefore, when the battery is over, it turns of.

I have performed the test that you recommended, but not only for the battery, but also for the AC Adapter and the result is:

Type                            Instance       Failure ID                                                    Result

Battery Check             1                        -                                                            CANCELED

AC Adapter Test          -                Q373S4-8N99QC-MFPUQ1-C1BC13    FAILED

Please click a Failure ID to submit it online to HP Support

I do so and then an HP website opens and they say that the failure type is critical and that there is a problem with the power supply unit and they ask me to check the AC connection. Of course, all is ok and the cable with the adapter works with my daughter's HP. Her own cable also works with her HP, but not with mine. The problem is in the computer. They also tell me that my computer needs to be repaired. Of course, this costs money because my computer is out of warranty. My wife's computer has the same problem, but my daughter's doesn't and we have 3 very similar hp models.

I do not know what else can I do. Maybe it is time to bring it to a repair service?

Best

Josu 

HP Recommended

Hi and thanks a lot for yout advice. Well, the battery is charging because that's what I am living on 

When the computer is turned off the battery charges completely and the light showing that it is charging (orange) is there. But then, when I turn on the computer, it is not charging any more and the computer is not powered. Therefore, when the battery is over, it turns of.

I have performed the test that you recommended, but not only for the battery, but also for the AC Adapter and the result is:

Type                            Instance       Failure ID                                                    Result

Battery Check             1                        -                                                            CANCELED

AC Adapter Test          -                Q373S4-8N99QC-MFPUQ1-C1BC13    FAILED

Please click a Failure ID to submit it online to HP Support

I do so and then an HP website opens and they say that the failure type is critical and that there is a problem with the power supply unit and they ask me to check the AC connection. Of course, all is ok and the cable with the adapter works with my daughter's HP. Her own cable also works with her HP, but not with mine. The problem is in the computer. They also tell me that my computer needs to be repaired. Of course, this costs money because my computer is out of warranty. My wife's computer has the same problem, but my daughter's doesn't and we have 3 very similar hp models.

I do not know what else can I do. Maybe it is time to bring it to a repair service?

Best

Josu 

HP Recommended

@Josutxo The failure ID for the adapter test confirms an AC Adapter Error, failure code 605, please make use of this code to have the adapter replaced via HP or alternatively, since the product is out of warranty, you can obtain the universal part number from the label on the adapter or at the HP Parts Store (order the replacement using the same website) or use the part number to order the part on any local online store such as eBay, Amazon, etc...that said, if you wish to get in touch with a repair service center, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options,

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi and thanks again for your answer, but it cannot be the AC Adapter. As I explained in my post, we have 3 hp laptops at home and my daughter´s hp works correctly with her AC Adapter and also with mine and my wife´s. But, on the other hand, my computer and my wife´s don´t work properly with any of the adapters. If it was the AC Adapter, then it also would not work with my daughter´s computer and also I could use my daughter´s AC adapter for my computer. The three laptops are very similar and they require the same type of AC adapter. The issue is not the AC adapter for sure or at least from my point of view, unless there is another logical explanation.

Can it be something else?

Best

Josu

HP Recommended

@Josutxo This could either be an adapter connector on the motherboard or the supply voltage isn't sufficient on the laptops with the issue, either way, you may want to contact HP support to discuss your options to get the device repaired as this is a definitive hardware malfunction.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.