Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-af141dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i would like to find out what kind of ram i specificaly need for my laptop as well as what is the limit on the amount of ram i can install. Thanx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is from the Service Manual:

Two non-customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots DDR3L-1600 single channel support (DDR3L-1600 downgrade to DDR3L-1333) DDR3L-1600 single channel support Supports up to 8 GB of system RAM in the following conƭgurations ● 8192-MB total system memory (8192×1) or (4096×2)

Service Manual

See pages 37 and 44 for "how to" on memory upgrade. 

Normally I rely on the Manual but in this case I believe your laptop can actually take up to 16 gigs of memory. It has 2 slots and can take at least one 8 gig module. If it will take and 8 gig in one slot it will take a second one in the second slot. Your processor and chipset are advanced enough to handle 16 gigs. There is some risk, however. To play it safe add another 4 gig module to have 8 gigs total. Most people do not need any more than 8 gigs anyway and memory is kind of expensive right now (goes up and down like the price of oil). 

Specified modules:

8-GB (PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz) 693374-005 4-GB (PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz) 691740-005

This is expensive for a 4 gig module but is the right kind for you to buy:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-691740-001-1600MHz-PC3L-12800-memory/dp/B00CI08FX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

This is from the Service Manual:

Two non-customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots DDR3L-1600 single channel support (DDR3L-1600 downgrade to DDR3L-1333) DDR3L-1600 single channel support Supports up to 8 GB of system RAM in the following conƭgurations ● 8192-MB total system memory (8192×1) or (4096×2)

Service Manual

See pages 37 and 44 for "how to" on memory upgrade. 

Normally I rely on the Manual but in this case I believe your laptop can actually take up to 16 gigs of memory. It has 2 slots and can take at least one 8 gig module. If it will take and 8 gig in one slot it will take a second one in the second slot. Your processor and chipset are advanced enough to handle 16 gigs. There is some risk, however. To play it safe add another 4 gig module to have 8 gigs total. Most people do not need any more than 8 gigs anyway and memory is kind of expensive right now (goes up and down like the price of oil). 

Specified modules:

8-GB (PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz) 693374-005 4-GB (PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz) 691740-005

This is expensive for a 4 gig module but is the right kind for you to buy:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-691740-001-1600MHz-PC3L-12800-memory/dp/B00CI08FX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the answer. sorry it took this long to respond.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.