Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 440G
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to add SSD M.2 and replace another SSD from a bigger slot to HDD ion my notebook. The manual says you should put the device into battery safe mode before doing any replacements. And here I faced the same issue as here. In that post they recommend to update the BIOS. I've never did updating BIOS and not sure if it is not an overkill for my particular purpose. But maybe the last update would be useful for me anyway. Can you please help me to determine it? Here is my currente state:

P85 Ver. 01.06 - 06/18/2017

the last BIOS update available for my notebook:

last_bios_update.png

On this page they recommend to have at least the v1.08.

recommended_bios.png

Also I am confused as on the last page they use the terms ship mode and shipping mode. Is it the same as  the battery safe mode?

Note that I recently checked if my notebook has an issue with battery bcs. of this.  

The battery is Ok.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

the suggestion of setting the battery in shipping mode or safe mode (I guess you find only one description in your BIOS)  is to remove power to motherboard while replacing the SSD.

it's safe for your computer.

I know I'm wrong, I often replace RAM and SSD forgetting to disconnect the battery or configure it in Battery Safe mode.

Update the bIOS to latest version May 2020.

bye

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello

the suggestion of setting the battery in shipping mode or safe mode (I guess you find only one description in your BIOS)  is to remove power to motherboard while replacing the SSD.

it's safe for your computer.

I know I'm wrong, I often replace RAM and SSD forgetting to disconnect the battery or configure it in Battery Safe mode.

Update the bIOS to latest version May 2020.

bye

HP Recommended

Is it safe to skip the BIOS versions inbetween when I upgrade from

P85 Ver. 01.06 - 06/18/2017 to  01.34 Rev.A  May 11, 2020

?

HP Recommended

I performed the upgrade with no issues.

Interesting that the P91 listed in the updates was not compatible.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.