Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11
Linux

Hi I have a HP Stream Notebook 11-d010na and I have erased Windows and Installed Suse Linux on it.

Unfortunately there is no good Linux driver for the native Broadcom wifi card.

So I have bought already 2 intel wifi cards, advance-n  and wireless-n. Both do not work although there are good Linux drivers for these cards. I was wondering if HP has a whitelist for wifi cards. If so how can I find out what is on this list or how can I disable this list. Thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thanks Kyle for your reply. Both your suggestions are valuable. I think it is safe to assume that the Realtek RTL8723BE would be whitelisted on my flavour of HP stream also. Again thank you Kyle. Other suggestions are also welcome.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I know that HP has whitelisted Wifi cards in the past, I am not sure about the Stream notebooks.

I have a Stream model 11-d010nr purchased in October 2014 that came with a Realtek RTL8723BE Wifi card that is working well with Linux Mint 17.3.

You may have already considered using a USB Wifi adapter instead.  I have gotten good performance with the Panda USB Wifi Adapter, it worked well with every Linux distribution I have tried.

HP Recommended
Thanks Kyle for your reply. Both your suggestions are valuable. I think it is safe to assume that the Realtek RTL8723BE would be whitelisted on my flavour of HP stream also. Again thank you Kyle. Other suggestions are also welcome.
HP Recommended

I took Kyle's advice and bought a Realtek RTL8723BE on ebay.

I worked right away without problems. Thanks again Kyle.

I still have no clue what's on HP's whitelist.

I mark this thread as solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update, that's good information for others in the same situation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.