Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-cs2064st
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello again, HP Community...I'm having a startup problem with my HP Pavilion device that has persisted for more than a week now.

Early Thursday morning (12/15/2022, around 8:30 AM CST), my laptop was beginning to undergo a low-battery shutdown as I was typing something in a Notepad document. I attached the power cable to the computer and waited for the computer to fully power down, but it never shut off; I left the computer alone for about 45-50 minutes, but the computer continued running without a screen display without turning itself off. Ultimately, I had to trigger the shutdown manually with the power button; upon starting the device again soon after, a brief scan initiated (likely due to the improper shutdown), and ever since, the device has not gone into a proper startup, quickly transitioning itself into Automatic Repair mode. Six Advanced Repair options are presented on the Automatic Repair menu, including Startup Repair and Command Prompt, but thus far, nothing has worked -- particularly the Startup Repair option, which begins "Diagnosing your PC" before displaying a message saying it couldn't repair the PC.

The day of the problem, I've put in a series of phone calls to both Staples (former holders of my extended warranty) and HP, ultimately leading to the SmartFriends assessment from the phone agent that there is likely some kind of Operating System error I've yet to correct. As I type this, the laptop is currently undergoing a System Extensive Test from the boot menu; with nearly three-and-a-half hours remaining, the Processor, Wireless Module, Hard Drive/SSD SMART, Hard Drive/SSD Short DST, and Memory Extensive Checks have all passed, the Hard Drive/SSD Optimized DST Check was not available, and the Hard Drive/SSD Long DST Check is in progress. If the results of that check may be needed later, I'll include that information once it finishes upon request.

As we're in the holiday season (Christmas being tomorrow, after all), my funds aren't strong enough to pay for HP SmartFriends' corrective services at this time, so if anyone is familiar with this problem and might offer a way to help me straighten it out, please feel free to reply. I apologize if I missed any needed details or supplied the wrong type of info on the operating system (wasn't sure if I had the 32-bit or 64-bit version, since I can't disrupt the scan to find out), so feel free to ask if any other information is needed.

Thanks in advance for anyone's helpful advice, and enjoy your holiday season 🙂

- ADONMARTINI_790

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Apparently, this problem I have is pretty common...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04742289

https://support.hp.com/us-en/help/diagnostics?category=computing&issue=windows-operating-system-issu...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Automatic-startup-repair-loop/m-p/7359777

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Automatic-Repair-Loop/td-p/8522184

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Automatic-repair-loop/m-p/8473045

Some of the specific community responses from other users on the HP forum are a bit dated, so I'm not sure if replicating their process would work for me in the here-and-now; I would appreciate anyone that might be able to remedy this problem. Even finding a way to boot in Safe Mode With Networking in the interim would be useful, if not a complete fix for this error; as long as I can boot the computer without potentially having to lose everything on it (the laptop is barely a few years old), I'd be satisfied.

Thanks,

ADonMartini_790

HP Recommended

Hey HP Community...wasn't sure if I posted my original topic in the right section or not, so I'm mirroring a link to the "Notebook Operating System And Recovery" thread of the same name here in the "Notebook Boot And Lockup" section.

HP Pavilion Laptop Going Into Automatic Repair Upon Startup; Am Unable To Properly Log In 

Please feel free to look at it and give me whatever insight you can towards correcting the issue or devising a workaround.

Thanks in advance,

ADonMartini_790

NOtE: Apologies in advance if any information is off; I wasn't sure about which variation of the Operating System I had, so if you have a recommendation of how I can get the correct information for any of you, feel free to ask.

HP Recommended

I see the Mods have made some changes, but no new responses.

I've edited an earlier message to cite some other similar topics; again, the topics are a little old by now, and probably are unique to their specific devices, so I would appreciate a user to give me some help correcting this boot problem.

To reiterate/update the information on my end, the scans I've done on the computer since the problem started two weeks ago have all passed; I was actually doing a full diagnostic scan when I last posted a reply (not including the mirror thread that the Mods moved here). As stated previously, my device has fallen prey to what seems to be a common startup error that triggers an endless series of Automatic Repair reboots; I'm presented with the following six options in each instance: Startup Repair, Command Prompt, Uninstall Updates, UEFI Firmware Settings, System Restore and System Image Recovery.

Since the computer will not boot correctly, I haven't been able to boot under alternative means (such as Safe Mode With Networking), or attempting to use a USB device for a third-party boot (such as a FixMeStick or a portable hard drive to try a data backup). I've been looking at other topics trying to make sense of any fixes that others have used, so if anyone knows how to correct the issue, or can propose a workaround to perhaps use a Safe-Mode login, I encourage anyone to reply.

Thanks again,

ADonMartini_790

HP Recommended

Hello again, everyone -- just trying to keep the discussion open. Again, any helpful responses are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

ADonMartini_790

HP Recommended

I've been looking into possibly getting a new hard drive for my laptop to see if that might help move this fix along; would anyone know what type of hard drive is most common for the Pavilion? I would like to get one as close to identical to the one I have now, disk space and all, so that I might resume as normal of function as possible. I'm having some issues at the moment getting the device opened up to look for myself, so a general idea would be pretty helpful; of course, if I can get it unscrewed and opened, I may not need the info. If there's a section where I could type in the specs for the device itself and get a probable schematic, please feel free to point me in that direction.

Thanks in advance

- ADonMartini_790

HP Recommended

Just returning to state that I've recently purchased a couple of precision screwdrivers, so hopefully, that minor technical issue about opening the laptop can be resolved soon.

I have a Phillips-head #00x2" and a Slotted-head 1/16"x1-1/2" -- the two smallest screwdrivers I could find. Hopefully, they will do the trick; if anyone knows the proper dimensions needed if these are not the right kind, please let me know. I will update once able.

Thanks in advance

- ADonMartini_790

HP Recommended

Hello, I have the same issue.

Did you solved it ?

HP Recommended

@Sunburn76

Not as of yet -- I'm working towards a fix on a separate thread. If it works, I'll post a message on this thread here.

- ADonMartini_790

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.