Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Had the  issue  with a brandnew laptop that I bought this month  and the tech support person asked me to return it .. 

Product Name: Spectre x360
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I am not a computer expert. I bought a new laptop this month.
Hp Spectre x360 -13t touch. Windows 10 64 HE
Inteli-7-8500Upro+
16 GB LPDDR3-2133 SDRAM
512 GB Pcle NVMe# M.2 SSD
Plus more. FYI it was a customized one.

As soon as I plugged it and started familiarizing myself with it, I felt a heat burning my lap. It was extreme to the point had to move it from my lap. It was unbearable heat. I could hear the fan as well but didn't cool it down. I turned it off. I asked a friend who recommended I return it. I called tech support and after I explained the situation and the tech guy realized it is a brandnew laptop he transferred me to the sales/return department. The person suggested I return the product. Was really disappointed that after doing all the customization and the waiting it had to be returned.
My question is does the hp company do quality control before selling their products? Do they check for any defects specially after thet customize computers?

I liked the laptop but I am afraid to replace it with another one and end up with another overheating one. 
Is this overheating a common problem? 

49 REPLIES 49
HP Recommended

@HPsucksx10

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Cheers,

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
HP doesn't do any quality check.
HP Recommended

I buy Spectre x360 Convertible on May 2018, since the first day, found extreme heating issue, communicated with local dealer...then customer care....till date I did not get any real support from HP team.........though I am the customer of HP since 2002......Now, simply frustrated of their services.

HP Recommended

The understandable consumer desire for thin lightweight devices with high performance components and the minimum of fan noise makes for a difficult set of design trade-offs.

Even with the use of 15W Thermal Design Power 'U' series processors, these devices can generate an great deal of heat. The thin lightweight form factor limits the total volume and mass available for the heatpipe(s) and heatsink, whilst the small fan(s) can only move a limited amount of air. To limit the amount of thermal throttling, the processor is allowed to run pretty hot - up to perhaps 85°C. All this means that the areas of the system around the thermal solution as well the exhaust air get rather hot.

I doubt these systems were overheating - they are designed to throttle down their performance to keep within safe limits for the hardware when they are running hot, also they will switch off automatically if thermal limits are breached. However, they are probably not suitable for use on the lap unless some sort of pad is used under them or you set a power plan that limits the performance to reduce heat generation. These issues are not unique to HP; I have experienced them with similar products from competing manufacturers.

For anyone interested in monitoring the internal temperatures of various components together with other parameters, I recommend the free HWiNFO. If you are after a pad to use your computer on your lap, one possibility amongst many is Belkin's Laptop Cushdesk.

HP Recommended

@tapas74

I totally agree with everything stated by @David_J_W We want it all and we want it cool-not gonna happen. I have used Spectres the last 2 years as my test/loaner from HP. both get rather warm. The Spectre 13 I used occasionally on the sofa but always had to keep a thick magazine under it to keep the heat off my legs.

One thing I found that does help is adjusting cpu under Power Plan, Advanced settings. Under Processor power management I set the Max CPU to 95% on both battery and on power. You won't even notice a speed difference with the powerful CPU adjusted down a bit but it will make it run slightly cooler.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

So I have done the changes and it worked for about a week.  It's now back to getting burning hot. I will take it in again, but I will also discourage others to buy hp.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, it is a "Laptop" and I can't use it in my lap??
Very much disappointed by the quality control of HP. It is a premier priced laptop, the heat issue should have been considered before launching this laptop in market.

HP Recommended

I totally agree. We paid way too much for this issue!

HP Recommended

I did that too, and it worked temporarily. I don't mind it getting warm, but when it's hot I worry about damage.....and burns. :HalfEyes:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.