Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8570w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm certainly not the first (many have already listed this or a similar issue since 2017) and will probably also not be the last to put forward this minor but irritating issue.

The "newest" 3D DriveGuard (5) SW available for the 8570w via HP support is still SP71714.exe. Unfortunately, that outdated SW did not function anymore since at least Win10 1809 (see URL https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/HP-3D-DriveGuard-Software-SP717...). Although this might be a minor detail, it's disturbing and really a pity since for the rest the 8570w is still well supported according to my perception for Win10.

Newer SW does not support the accelerometer that is in the 8570w (and many more HP notebooks of about that same age), which is identified by HW ID ACPI\HPQ6000. I.e., a community member is giving as a solution to install newer SW SP88981.exe in the afore referenced URL. A simple check with for instance 7z to access archive SP88981.exe would have reveiled that in accelerometer.inf HW ID ACPI\HPQ6007 is listed, which is incompatible!  Hence, before you might be tempted to posting a solution please do this check first.

Win10 is according to the 8570w driver download page supported and hence I believe I might expect support of Win10 1809 and beyond. Therefore my request to HP support is following: Please update 3D DriveGuard SW for HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor (accelerometer) HW ID ACPI\HPQ6000 for the EliteBook 8570w and similar (age) devices in the case of Win10 1809 and beyond such that a working solution is obtained and "Code 48" will disappear!

Please note that this "Code 48" issue is not present in for instance the Zbook15 (G1) running Win10 20H2, which has the HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor (accelerometer) HW ID ACPI\HPQ6007.

Thank you in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Maybe this old solution I came across a while back will still work on 20H2...

Solved: a working Win 10 driver for 3D Drive Guard (or acceleretor s... - HP Support Community - 714...

If not, any requests to have drivers updated made on this forum, will fall on deaf ears, since we don't work for or represent HP.

You can submit your request to have HP come up with a working W10 driver for that version of the 3D Driveguard hardware ID to the HP Executive Team at the link below.

Executive Team: CEO email | HP® Official Site

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul for your prompt reply. I indeed have seen your post before but unfortunately your method did and does not work in my case. Get the "Windows encountered a problem installing the drivers for your device". For now I will disable the device, which is also a solution but obvious not preferred.

Will have to use the second link you provided as a last resort. Can only hope that my request will not fall on deaf ears at HP.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that driver didn't work.

You can also try this. 

I have no idea why it worked, since the file installs the 6007 ID, but this guy marked the post as solved.

Solved: Device Driverfor Windows 10: HP Mobile Data Protection Senso... - HP Support Community - 764...

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul. Unfortunately, same Windows message as before and hence no luck.

Meanwhile did send a mail by using your second link to kindly request support from HP. Now it is wait and see for a reaction.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

That's unfortunate.

I have one other suggestion if you don't mind.

My HP notebooks either have the first version of the 3D driveguard with the ID of 0004, or the newer one of 6007.

It never occurred to me until just now, when these two solutions used to work on that ID...

How about going into the driver setup information file in sp88981, and change the hardware ID in the text file from 6007 to 6000, save the change, and see if you can manually install the driver then.

You can change both the 32 bit and 64 bit lines.

HP Recommended

How about going into the driver setup information file in sp88981, and change the hardware ID in the text file from 6007 to 6000, save the change, and see if you can manually install the driver then.

Issue is that although this solution might be accepted even by win10 20H2, the hardware (ID 6000) beneith can be very different from that of ID 0004 or 6007 (I just don't know!). Hence, changing this text in the accelerator.inf file as you kindly suggest in an attempt to get a working solution does not make me very comfortable to pursue. 

P.S. Most of my HP notebooks have the 6007. Only the 8570w is the exception since it has the 6000. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.