Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 840 g2
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I'd like to purchase and install a M.2 ssd card in this pc.

Rather confusing. Will different sizes fit (IE: 60mm or 80mm)?

And will the Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 MZ-N5E250BW work?

OR 

MyDigitalSSD 240GB (256GB) BP5 80mm (2280) SATA III (6G) M.2 NGFF SSD Solid State Drive - MDM280-BP5...

OR

Transcend 256 GB SATA III 6Gb/s MTS800 80 mm M.2 SSD Solid State Drive TS256GMTS800

47 REPLIES 47
HP Recommended

Hi! Welcome To The HP Support Forums I’ Am 1029rjmemvy17t It Is A Great Place For Information/Help And I Will Be Happy To Help You!

Your PC only supports a 42mm M.2 Drive Size SATA

http://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-128GB-120GB-Super-Drive/dp/B00LNF1RVM/&sdsrc=staff?tag=slickd...

If you want a Big SSD you need to buy a SATA 2.5inch SSD

it connects to the same cable the HDD does only the SSD is much faster

here is one i think would be great take a look

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E500B-AM/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Good Luck!

Regards: 1029rjmenvy17t

Please 'KUDO' If You Like for Thumbs Up and 'Accept As Solution' If This Fixed Your Problem

To Help Other People Find This and Help Them Fix the Same or Similar Problems

HP Recommended

How about this:

Transcend 256 GB SATA III 6Gb/s MTS400 42 mm M.2 SSD Solid State Drive TS256GMTS400

OR

MyDigitalSSD 256GB Super Boot Drive 42mm SATA III (6G) M.2 2242 NGFF SSD - MDM242-SB-256

HP Recommended

Go With This One

Transcend 256 GB SATA III 6Gb/s MTS400 42 mm M.2 SSD Solid State Drive TS256GMTS400

And Least I Would Anyway However It Is Still Only 256GB

You Probably Want The 2.5inch SATA For Upto 500GB Or Some Are Even 1TB

However If You Have No Problem With 256GB Then Go For It

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll order the Transsend SSD today.

The PC already has a 128gb SSD Hard Drive. This pc was "assigned" to me at work. They ordered several - same configuration - might work well for most business users, but I work in IS and will be installing several DB and a bunch of support tools. I couldn't change out the existing SSD drive (Not mine/Waranty). So, at least the M.2 ssd can come with me if/when the pc is turned in.

128G SSD drive + 256G M.2 should be fine.

HP Recommended

Okay cool!:smileyvery-happy:

Good Luck With Everything:smileyvery-happy: That 256GB M.2 drive should be very very very fast:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

Hi,

did you finally buy the M.2 SATA SSD and does it work?

i am rather confused here. I also want to buy this notebook, but in th manual i see that the SSD should be PCIe, instead of SATA:

"256-GB, M2, PCIe-2×2 solid-state drive for use on all computer models 803381-001"

or does both (SATA and PCIe) work in the M.2-slot? thanks.

Regards, Tino.

HP Recommended

my laptop has M.2 PCIe slot (HP 840 G2 with single notch), is it compatible with M.2 SATA (2 notches)? and will single sided or double sided make any difference in fitting?

HP Recommended

Hi,

i got an Crucial MX200 (500GB). it's SATA, double sided, two-notched, and it fits and works without problems.

pay attention that you can only fix a M.2 2260 in a G2 and a M.2 2242 in a G1 (due to the screw socket).

hope this helps.

M.2 2260 in 840 G2

G1 compared with G2

HP Recommended

hello. I really hope you can help

I am working for an IT supplier.   A very good customer of mine has the following lap top

HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook PC(M3N32EA)

I need a compatible M.2. SSD and it a minefield

Will  either of these Crucial part suffice does anybody know? - CT250MX200SSD6  or CT500MX200SSD6

I checked the crucial website and it stated they were not compatible. But I see the photo above which suggests differently

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.