Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 17.3 m7-n109dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This laptop is a Best Buy Blue Label, configured for sale exclusively by Best Buy.  

The price is right for the included features, but we're very disappointed in HP's QA measures. This unit should never have made it out of the factory.

Right out of the box, the display suffers from severe backlight bleeding in both lower corners of the display, so obvious that it's plain for anyone to see.

Screen resolution may be 1920 x 1080 Full HD, but Netflix and Amazon HD videos are not as sharp or as bright as the same videos at the same resolution on my 3 year-old 15.4" MacBook Pro Retina Display.

Backlit keyboard is either off or on, and on is far too bright, with bright light leaking around the chiclet keys, clearly visable and distracting.

We want to like this computer.  We're tempted to simply exchange it for another.  In addition to our MacBook, we have a 13" HP Pavilion dv3510nr bought in 2009 that has been faultless.  But with our new HP Envy demonstrating such an obvious flaw in the display, we wonder what hidden flaws might manifest themselves weeks or months from now if we were to purchase another.

This purchase represents a perfect example of why one shouldn't make a purchase of this type from an exclusively online seller. At least, with Best Buy we have a big box store where we can return it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem solved. I returned the second HP laptop to Best Buy and purchased an open-box fully-warranted all-in-one 21.5-inch  iMac with a glorious 1080P display, wireless keyboard and mouse and not one single issue.  Partitioned the hard drive for WIndows 10.  Sorry, HP.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Stolizino wrote:

This laptop is a Best Buy Blue Label, configured for sale exclusively by Best Buy.  

The price is right for the included features, but we're very disappointed in HP's QA measures. This unit should never have made it out of the factory.

Right out of the box, the display suffers from severe backlight bleeding in both lower corners of the display, so obvious that it's plain for anyone to see.

Screen resolution may be 1920 x 1080 Full HD, but Netflix and Amazon HD videos are not as sharp or as bright as the same videos at the same resolution on my 3 year-old 15.4" MacBook Pro Retina Display.

Backlit keyboard is either off or on, and on is far too bright, with bright light leaking around the chiclet keys, clearly visable and distracting.

This purchase represents a perfect example of why one shouldn't make a purchase of this type from an exclusively online seller. At least, with Best Buy we have a big box store where we can return it.

Online seller also does return for defective laptops if you think buying at a big box won't have this same problems your fooling yourself here.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

@PeerOne:  "Online seller also does return for defective laptops if you think buying at a big box won't have this same problems your fooling yourself here."

I believe you misread or misunderstand my comment.  Of course one can get a refund or exchange from an exclusively online seller.  One need only request an RMA or send the defective unit back at the buyer's expense, repacking the unit and taking it to the carrier and then wait for the seller to receive it, authenticate the defect, approve the refund or exchange, and then send a replacement unit. Days wasted.

My time is valuable.  I certainly haven't the time to devote to the exercise I described above, and I'm not going to hang around waiting for the carrier to pick it up at my home, or worse, leave it on the porch for pickup.  At the big box I'm in and out in 30 minutes with a cash refund or a replacement computer.  So who is the fool?

HP Recommended

Returned the laptop to Best Buy for an exchange.  In and out with a new one in 20 minutes.  I checked the new one at the customer service counter before accepting it, and the display appeared to be fine, although I remarked to the customer service agent that the ambient light inside the store makes it difficult to closely examine the display.  And sure enough, after taking it home and viewing it in a darker environment, the screen artifact is present in both lower corners, although much less pronounced.  I want there to be no doubt about the nature of my complaint.  There should be NO light bleed in this display.  None. This defect is due solely to poor display construction and non-existent quality control.

I have to wonder if these displays are merely a bad production run or if HP decided to equip this model Best Buy Blue Label laptop with displays that didn't make the cut for regular retail laptops.

This situation is unacceptable, and I don't understand how HP can apparently let units with this flaw make it into customers' hands.

HP,  I want an answer.  I know you can do better, and I like this configuration.  So why do I have a second unit with the same flaw as the first?  Whare is your quality control?  I want this to be made right, and it shouldn't require another trip to Best Buy with the expectation that a third unit will be any better, because two consecutive identical defects isn't mere coincidence.

HP Recommended

@Stolizino

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks, Kevin!  I responded to the PM sent to me by HP and I'm optimistic this can be satisfactorily resolved.

HP Recommended

Problem solved. I returned the second HP laptop to Best Buy and purchased an open-box fully-warranted all-in-one 21.5-inch  iMac with a glorious 1080P display, wireless keyboard and mouse and not one single issue.  Partitioned the hard drive for WIndows 10.  Sorry, HP.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem on an HP Pavilion X360. Both bottom corners but especially the left bottom.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.