Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

This is ridiculous. My laptop is totally unusable right now. We've been waiting weeks and there is still no solution or any communication from HP while the problem is easy. Just send us a new adapter or fix things by a BIOS update and I might consider buying HP in the future.

HP Recommended

Captured an example of it from the MSI Afterburner log since I didn't see any visual examples of it here :

Capture4.PNG

This was one run of Cinebench plugged in via the included power adapter.  Anyway, during the spike downward to a core clock of 696, the FPS dropped through the floor.  Before anyone screams "temperatures", here's a cap of that :

Capture2.PNG

Maximum temperature was 59 during the Cinebench - you can see the usage of the GPU also drop down to around 50% during the same time.

This does NOT happen when running from battery.  Here's a snip of the core clock during a Cinebench using the battery :

Capture5.PNG

Notice the _constant_ core clock during the attempt?  No drops in FPS.  Come on HP!

HP Recommended

I encourage anyone who hasn't called in yet to do so - I have escalated my case as far as I can!

HP Recommended

Does anybody have an interim solution other than buying a higher wattage adapter? e.g. downclocking the gpu so it doesn't hit its power limit, resulting in more consistent performance? 

I'm trying some things but still no usable results...

HP Recommended
No solutions from me and I’ve tried everything I can think of.
HP Recommended
Using Throttlestop, prevent the CPU from turbo boosting. I worked for me, and I assume that it stopped the CPU from consuming too much power (15W~>7W). However, do note that clock speeds would be capped at 1.8Ghz if im not wrong.

You will probably suffer from FPS drops and screen freezes once in a while when gaming though..

This can only be a temporary solution, while a higher power adapter fixes everything
HP Recommended
Hopefully someone at HP is following this thread - neutering an i7 just to use the discrete GPU is not a remotely acceptable solution.
HP Recommended

@UserinDistress

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

This issue actually applies to all the Pavilion 15-CK models. 

Chinese users in the local HP forum also reported the issue.

The HP staff uploaded the BIOS update but it doesn't effectively work from users experiences.
HP Chinese forum thread

I hope in the end, the only suggestion won't be to go to the service center.

Cuz we all know the answer will be NTF.

HP Recommended

I called it in weeks ago, and the person responding also said that it was passed to the right people. But still nothing that even resembles a solution. The employee even said that if I was to try a higher wattage adapter that my warrancy would cancel because of violation of the contract.

What hp needs to do is to admit their mistake of shipping the wrong adapter, and asap send a new, stronger one to all the people who bought this product. Because this fps drop is also happening when playing real simple games that could be played on the integrated graphics, which we are forced to do now.

In the meantime, we would like to see an intermim solution that caps both the processor load and gpu use to bring about albeit lower quality, but consistent performance. The option to prefer consistent performance in the Nvidia configuration screen doesn't do the trick. 

Furthermore, since hp will probably take ages before providing a solution, does somebody have a link to a 120w hp compatible adapter? 

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.