Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G7 - 6HM83ES#ABD
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I bought a new HP G7 250 notebook for my uncle, it's a 6HM83ES#ABD with i5-8265U and UHD 620 graphics. Unfortunately there are only Win 10 drivers on the HP support site, so after hours of searching and modifying Win 7 discs, inserting several drivers with NTLite and other tools, I finally managed to successfully install Win 7 64x SP1 Pro.
USB 3.0/2.0, Intel UHD, Realtek LAN, Realtek WLAN and Realtek Sound are finally working now.

However, I can't find any drivers for the Synaptics Touchpad. The touchpad works, but there are some issues:

1. I can't turn off "clicking by tapping" feature. I know this can be disabled with the Synaptics software.
2. "Sidescroll" and other features don't work.

According to devices manager, this is the device hardware ID:

ACPI\SYN3286
*SYN3286

I couldn't find any Synaptic drivers for the SYN3286 model, can I use any other drivers?

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance, J.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since you appear to be very good at modifying stuff to work, maybe you can add that ID string to the 250 G6 touchpad driver into the SynPD setup information file, where the rest of those ID's can be found.

I checked the file and that ID is not present.  It falls short by a couple of numbers.

%SMB.SynClickPadDeviceDesc% = HP_GROUP154SGS94UI_InterTouch_Inst,ACPI\SYN3271 ; HP_SGS94UI

This driver has support for W7, which is why it is such a big file.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81891.exe

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

thank you for your reply. Which string ID do you mean? The one you posted or another one? I'm not sure I got it right, please see my steps below:

I downloaded the SP81891 driver, unpacked it and modifyied the SynPD.inf

1. attempt: I copied the string from your post, added it below and simply changed it to "SYN3286".  Both strings are available:

This is what it looked like:

"%SMB.SynClickPadDeviceDesc% = HP_GROUP154SGS94UI_InterTouch_Inst,ACPI\SYN3271 ; HP_SGS94UI" 

"%SMB.SynClickPadDeviceDesc% = HP_GROUP154SGS94UI_InterTouch_Inst,ACPI\SYN3286 ; HP_SGS94UI"

I saved the file and ran Setup.exe, however the installation failed at the end, showing a red "x" and installation failed error message.

2.attempt:  This time I only changed "SYN3271" to "SYN3286", not adding another string and simply modifying the one that you mentioned.

Before:

"%SMB.SynClickPadDeviceDesc% = HP_GROUP154SGS94UI_InterTouch_Inst,ACPI\SYN3271 ; HP_SGS94UI"

After:

"%SMB.SynClickPadDeviceDesc% = HP_GROUP154SGS94UI_InterTouch_Inst,ACPI\SYN3286 ; HP_SGS94UI"

Same error as above.

3. attempt: I tried installing the original not-modifyied SP81891 driver, this time it seemed to work and it showed a green "check symbol" and installation successful message in the end. However, in the Control Panel there is no Synaptics button, and when clicking on Mouse - Properties there is also no Synaptics tab - so I can't access any settings -  I guess something didn't work right.

Did I do anything wrong?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, I would have tried modifying the string I posted using the ID the same way.

Sorry that didn't work.

I imagine that installing the driver worked but the device is not present, because it doesn't contain support for that hardware ID.

I was hoping the mod would trick the driver into working.

The newer drivers are much smaller files and are only good for W10.

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks anyway. I'll try to make the touchpad features work, maybe I'll find a workaround for this issue.

BTW: I noticed that the FN keys aren't working at all. Do I need to install a driver or are the FN keys part of the Synaptics driver package?

Hardware ID is:

ACPI\HPQ8001 

Which driver do you recommend for W7 64x?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm surprised you got as far as you did.

I didn't think any W7 USB 3.1 drivers existed.

I knew of a mod to get the HD 620 graphics to work on W7, but I wasn't aware of any to get the UHD 620 graphics to work.

See if this driver gets the Fn Keys to work...

Hotkey Support...

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66562.exe

; For Win7 64-bit and above
[HP.NTamd64]
%DeviceDesc% = HpqKbFiltr.NTamd64, ACPI\HPQ8001, *PNP0303

HP Recommended

Thanks for the FN driver, I'll try that later.

Well, the whole USB 3.1 and even USB 2.0 thing was driving me crazy - this was by far the worst part. It took me 10+ attempts to successfully install W7 with USB drivers working afterwards.

Initially I couldn't even start the W7 installation, as the M2 SSD was not detected. So I had to add NVME drivers to the W7 installation. When the NVME issue was solved, the W7 installation worked, unfortunately no USB ports were working after the installation was done, not even the USB 2.0!!! Ironically the USB ports were working during installation, as I've installed W7 using an USB stick and even a  USB mouse! But as soon as the installation was done, the USB ports were simply not detecting anything. Fortunately I found a solution and some drivers - if you want, I can post it here. Am I allowed to post links from other sites here or do I have to send them via DM to you?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You can post links to anything you want, as long as it is legal, and doesn't violate any of the forum rules of participation.  😊

I would imagine that posting links for getting PC's to work on W7 would be fully compliant with the rules of participation.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately the FN keys driver didn't work. When launching setup.exe it says that the OS is not supported. Do I have to modify anything there or are they supposed to run on Win 7?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the guide for installing Intel UHD620 drivers on Windows 7 x64 SP1:

I followed the instructions from this link:

https://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/414172-need-driver-intel-uhd620-2.html#post3438758

To sum it up, all you have to do is download this driver here - direct link from Biostar:

https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/event/H310_windowstool/win7_8th_i3_i5_Driver_2.0.rar

When done, extract everything into a new folder. Open the folder, go to \Graphics and look for the „igdkmd64.inf“ file.

Open the file and find

„Windows 7 Install - DT Only“

scroll down and look for this string

%iKBLULTGT2%    = iSKLD_w7, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5917

All you need to do is add the following string

%iKBLULTGT2R%   = iSKLD_w7, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3EA0

it should look like this

%iKBLULTGT2% = iSKLD_w7, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5917
%iKBLULTGT2R% = iSKLD_w7, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3EA0

Save the file, go back to the main folder and launch setup.exe. This way it worked for me, all Aero effects and Full HD resolution working perfectly.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.

Maybe it will help others who want to experiment with W7 on an Intel 8th gen platform.

Did you try manually updating the driver?

Go to the device manager, click on the ACPI\HPQ8001 device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the location where the driver file was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp66562.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked, and see if the driver installs that way.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.