Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've gotten my x360 rather recently, and I haven't had the chance to really use the stylus for photoshop and such until now. It was quite clear that if I need to put more hard time on the pen, that I should look into getting some replacement nibs for it, as strangely, the device didn't come with any extras. After searching all over your website, I can't seem to find replacement nibs anywhere available. Contacting Technical Support (apparently, just normal customer service/sales isn't a thing?), I've been informed that replacement nibs don't exist and that each time a nib wears out, I would need to buy an entirely new stylus.

Sometimes for my work/projects I will end up using the stylus for a good 12+ hours at a time, and after the one day of continuous work it's already showing wear, and at this point, I doubt it would be any good to me after a couple months. So the idea that a bi- or even tri-monthly purchase of a brand new pen instead of just swapping out the easily replaceable (and completely designed by HP to be replaced) nib is just ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but I'm just failing to understand how it would be in HP's best interest not to just offer the Nibs. Even if they covered a replacement pen under the warranty coverage, wouldn't sending a little baggy of even 20 replacement nibs be far cheaper for the company in storage, shipping, production, and even just maintaining customer satisfaction? I can get one replacement pen under the warranty, but the next time the nib wears out I have to buy a new Pen again. Even if you thought of it as a way for HP to get an extra bit of money from its customers, that's a really silly way to do it, because all this is going to mean is that I'm going to make sure me and my office removes the x360 (and likely HP) as an option when it comes to any future upgrading  of our marketing/illustrative department's equipment. It's crazy... The website even has model numbers for the different Nib replacement sets (1VY60AA, 3RV57AA, 3RV58AA). All these sets do include multiple nibs but may be included with a pen(?).

Wacom, Huion, XP-Pen, Lenovo, Microsoft all include the ability to get extra nibs (for varying costs), and the pen was clearly designed for easy nib replacement... so just... why?

Customer service last night told me "nothing lasts forever", and like "No, S@#$.", but why not just let us replace the thing that's definitely not going to last the life of the accessory. You don't have some sort of limited proprietary battery in the pens, likely because you think they'd run out, and people would want to replace them, so how does this not transfer over to another as essential part that (according to advertised battery length of the pen) will likely wear out much sooner... If the pen nibs aren't some sort of HP internal design, and the pen is just a reskin of some other company's product (which is completely legitimate and occurs all the time, no shade on that), please let me know, cause then others like myself can just get the nibs from them, because they'll likely have replacement nib options.

Seriously though, there are quite a number of posts about this issue, and those are just the people that took the time to ask about it on your own forums...

Why?...

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

@Just_Murdoch,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I am sending you a private message suggesting the next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is there any way I can get more info on this as weell? I find this stylus so useful but no way do I want to drop another $60 just because I need to replace the tip.

HP Recommended

can get more info on this as well?

HP Recommended

Sorry, don't know if they ended up contacting you or not, but I was more or less told, nope, I have to pay for a new Stylus each time. They kinda stopped replying to my messages when I started to ask why they don't just offer the nibs, or if they design is non-proprietary, so I could get nibs from another source. They sent me one stylus because I had a warranty, but it only came with the single nib that was in it, not even the like small pack of a couple extra nibs that are supposed to come with the Pen when you purchase the laptop. 

If you get a better response let me know. It was kinda ridiculous the responses I got, and my office has decided to longer purchase HP products.

HP Recommended

Yeah agree. I bought the x360 because I thought it would be great for art but I'm regretting it now that I've run into this issue. Replacement nibs would be the simplest thing to sell and yet they expect us to buy entirely new pens when our current ones work just fine. I am so disappointed in HP and really don't know what to do at this point.

HP Recommended

Is there anyway i can get more info about it?

HP Recommended

I also got in touch with HP and raise the issue with my touch Pen, which was part of a computer purchase in Jan 2019.  The Nib literally fell off, and I tried to claim warranty but was rejected. 

I put it down to the Nib is too loose a connection, with design and quality defects. No luck, here. HP is organising a quote for the pen, I may need buy a new one.  

HP Recommended

Thought to provide some updates, a quote of AU$111.54  to purchase a new pen is provided by the HP Customer Service team. Should I  take up the offer?  Guess how many pens I will go through in 3 years?   

HP Recommended

Wow. That's a pretty big pile of BS. Is it just the nib that's causing a problem do you think? Or something within the pen? I think it's like 100 CAD for the pen. Maybe large shipping costs?  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.