Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
Notebook 15-ay041wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer's screen keeps glitching and then the computer proceeds to restart itself. It just keeps doing it too and I have no clue whats wrong with it.

PLEASE help. I'm a college student and the majority of my classes are online so I need this computer for homework. 

received_527278707717859.jpeg

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Please run a Hardware Diagnostics Test.

Here's a link with instructions:

Testing for Hardware Failures

If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

HP Recommended

The screen will not even come on now. I can hear the computer booting up but the screen stays black.

HP Recommended
Please try a Hard Reset:

If your computer suddenly fails to boot properly, you should perform a hard reset.
  1. Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and media cards. You want to test the computer not the accessories!
  2. Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the AC power adapter (but do not connect the battery), Press the Power button, Look for glowing LEDs near caps lock and num lock keys, and Listen for sounds of a disk drive and fan turning.
Test for a Defective Display:

To test for a defective display, use the following steps:
  1. Connect the computer to an external monitor with a VGA or HDMI connector cable.
  2. Connect AC power to the computer and the external monitor.
  3. Press the Power button on the computer, and then press the Power button on the external monitor.
    If an image displays on the external monitor but not on the computer display, download and install the latest BIOS, the latest graphics driver, and the latest CPU chipset. See the Obtaining Software and Drivers support document for more information.
    If there is no image on either the computer display or the external monitor, and the computer does not start properly, this indicates a startup problem, not a display problem. See Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.

HP Recommended
Finally got the screen to come back on, but it takes forever for the desktop to load and before I can run the diagnostic test, it glitches and restarts my computer. Is there any way to put my computer in safe mode or something to run the test?
HP Recommended

You can run a Hardware Diagnostic before Windows boots.

Try 'Fast Test' first.

Here's a link: Test Computer Hardware Preboot

HP Recommended

It passed everything on the fast test. I attempt to run the other two and it glitches before they can finish. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.