Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Omen by HP 15-dc1047nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My computer has updated windows 10 and BIOS, and now will not detect my GPU.

Product: HP Omen 15-dc1xxx

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 with Max-Q

RAM: 32GB

SSD: Samsung 500GB

HDD: 2TB Aftermarket of somesort

Steps taken to diagnose and fix:

1. Roll back windows update to previous versions.

2. Updated Nvidia drivers (failed to run Nvidia Control Panel due to GPU being undetected)

3. Update PCI-E drivers

4. Uninstalled Nvidia GPU and drivers (which resulted in failure to reinstall drivers because of GPU being undetected)

Based on my internet research, the only thing I can think of is either the GPU has come unplugged (if not soldered to the MOBO) or the hardware itself has failed (died, burnt out, etc.). It is peculiar though because the comp is only 6 months old, and I only experienced this problem once the BIOS and Windows updates rolled out.

Questions:

1. Is the GPU soldered to the motherboard?

2. If the GPU is not soldered to the MOBO, will taking the thing apart to see if the GPU cable is loose void my warranty?

3. What can I do to solve this issue besides what I've already done?

This is an issue of major concern for me because I am deep into my Architectural Thesis, which requires a computer with some processing power to run extremely demanding design software.

PLEASE HELP!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I experienced this issue myself just now. I fixed it as follows, and it may work for you too:

Check all drivers in the device manager. There's a good chance that the BIOS update broke one of them. In my case, it was the "Intel(R) PCIe Controller (x16)- 1901" that went kaput. If there is indeed a broken driver, you'll notice it by a yellow exclamation mark. Uninstall it, then reboot to let Windows automatically reinstall it. That was all it took to fix the problem for me.

Some info about my laptop:

Model: HP Omen 15-dh0800nz

CPU: Intel Core i7-9750h

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 with Max-Q design

RAM: 16GB

Storage: 512GB SSD

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@cwthorp85 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the graphics card Nvidia RTX 2070 max Q is not detected by the HP omen laptop.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue. 

Try using the NVidia driver update utility to try and update the drivers: http://hp.care/2lAF3w7 

If this doesn't work the last possible option is to perform a system recovery. 

System recovery is the last step to troubleshoot this issue. This option reformats the system drive (usually C:), reinstalls the original operating system and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software. All you save files will be lost and your computer will be formatted to the day you purchased the machine.

If you have made a recovery media, then try recovery using the recovery media. Go to http://hp.care/2d8t85o and follow the steps under "System recovery using the media you created".

If you do not have the recovery media, then you can try using the recovery manager to perform the same. Go to http://hp.care/2d8t85o and check the steps under "Recovery using HP Recovery Manager".

Please do not open the laptop, it will void the warranty.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I've performed a factory windows reset on the laptop. At first this fixed the issue, however now the same problem has reoccurred after only a few hours of use. I suppose my only option now is to send the laptop back to HP for service/replacement... 

HP Recommended

@cwthorp85

Thank you for the update.

In that case, I would suggest you to contact our phone support. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I experienced this issue myself just now. I fixed it as follows, and it may work for you too:

Check all drivers in the device manager. There's a good chance that the BIOS update broke one of them. In my case, it was the "Intel(R) PCIe Controller (x16)- 1901" that went kaput. If there is indeed a broken driver, you'll notice it by a yellow exclamation mark. Uninstall it, then reboot to let Windows automatically reinstall it. That was all it took to fix the problem for me.

Some info about my laptop:

Model: HP Omen 15-dh0800nz

CPU: Intel Core i7-9750h

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 with Max-Q design

RAM: 16GB

Storage: 512GB SSD

HP Recommended

@Lukas_Egeling this process seems to have worked for me as well! Thanks for the info and I'll update the thread if any problems persist. FYI windows did not auto update the broken driver, but after going back through the device manager and updating all drivers, I was able to reinstall it with no problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you. Fixed my problem on Omen 15t-dc100 after BIOS update to F.15 Rev A with date 01/30/2020.  The same thing went kaput "Intel(R) PCIe Controler (x16) - 1901". I updated that driver rather then remove + reboot + reinstall. Regardless your advice has saved me much time.

HP Recommended

Hey @Lukas_Egeling, 

I do not have a question. I had on my Omen laptop since today showing 0 degrees on GPU scale on the Omen Commandcenter, which means that something went wrong. I have done research and tried many options but nothing worked. After doing research all day instead of working on my Chemistry assigment, thank to god I came across your response. Your Solution worked instantly. I wanted to thank you very much, you really did save me! I just created this account to thank you! 

Wish you the best,

M

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.