Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl1XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop is running into issues after updating to Windows 1909. Horizontal line marks showed after opening a window and also Horizontal Lines showing on my whole screen. My laptop is restarting when shut down is selected so it drains my battery the whole day. It also drains my battery when closing the lid because it doesn't shut down or sleep. There is no drivers update for this model and I just bought this premium laptop less than 2 years ago. I also tried downloading the latest Nvidia Game ready driver but it did not help.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@apquest00, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Try connecting an external monitor if available to check if the horizontal lines persist.

This can also be checked on the BIOS screen to determine if this is a hardware or a software issue.

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Turn on the computer, and then immediately press the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup Menu opens.
  3. Press F10 to open the BIOS Setup Utility. Check for the horizontal lines.

Follow these steps to disable the automatic restart option:

1. In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.

2. Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.

Figure : System Properties window

System Properties window
  3. Remove the check mark next to Automatically restart under System Failure, then click OK.

Figure : Automatically restart check box

Location of the Automatically restart check box
  4. Restart the computer.

Let us run a test on the hardware components of the PC

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. Perform System Test > Extensive test. Share the result on your next post.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,

1. Unchecking the "Automatically Restart" box did not solve the issue. My system still restarts after shutting down Windows 10.

2. Horizontal fine lines not showing up on an external monitor.

3. Pressing F10 to open BIOS Setup Utility shows Horizontal fine lines.

4. All tests passed after System Test -> Extensive Test performed.

These issues all begun after Windows Update 1909. I revert back to Windows 1903 and the Horizontal fine lines disappeared. The next day, windows update  1909 was installed again after restarting my system and these issues came back. There is no option on my Windows Update settings to update to Windows Update 2004.

HP Recommended

@apquest00

This seems like a hardware issue with the display screen of the Notebook as the lines appear on the BIOS screen but not on the external monitor. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,

My laptop is just sitting in my room the whole time. This all happened right after the windows update.  Why did the horizontal fine lines disappear after ROLLING BACK  my Windows Update to 1903? Does it relate to a hardware issue too?  How about the restarting of my system after shutting down? is it hardware too? Reaching to HP Support means I need to pay first before talking to someone? 

HP Recommended

@apquest00

If the product is not under warranty, you may have to pay. If the issue occurs only after a windows update, it could be related to the OS system files. You may reset the computer to repair any corrupt system files as shown in this document.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,

This is too much work for me and there is no assurance that all issues will be resolved.  Is there any HP number that I can call without paying?   These issues all happened after windows update and it is not my fault so paying for something that is not my fault seems not a good  idea to me.  Another question, why Windows Update 2004 is not available for my laptop? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

@apquest00

HP does not control Windows updates. Microsoft is releasing the Win 2004 update gradually.  Not all users have the option to update yet. If you want to manually download it, click here. You may do this at your own discretion.

You may reach out to the HP Support in your region for one on one assistance via a remote session.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,
So I did HP Recovery Manager and used it to RESET my whole system to its FACTORY DEFAULT that includes DELETING all my files.
No windows update applied this time. Now I have a fresh clean installed windows but my issue still did not go away.
My laptop resets when shut down button is button is clicked. My laptop starts on its own after pressing the power button for 3 seconds.
It is draining my battery. Can this be a BIOS update problem due to Software/Windows update?
Can I downgrade my BIOS to its original factory version?
My current BIOS version is F.42 Rev.A
Can I upgrade to BIOS system firmware to F.65 Rev.A?

HP Recommended

@apquest00

What model HP Computer are you using?

Refer to this document to know how to find the Product Name or Product Number.

If you would like to downgrade the firmware, follow the steps from this document - Recovering the BIOS.

You may update the BIOS from this link, enter your Product number or name.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.