Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everybody,

I've bought that fantastic machine called Spectre x360 and I love it.

Unfortunately since first days I'm facing what I think is a driver/software problem (not hardware related).

This issue happens only when I'm on Windows, not in bios or during boot. JUST IN Windows envinroment, especially after login and when the computer was turned off. Sometimes it happens when I'm using it after some time, randomly.
This happens only when the Spectre is on battery. On AC adapter the problem doesn't appear.

Problem: the screen goes black randomly for some seconds and then reappears, sometimes the entire image slide on the right and there's a portion that looks like yellow and corrupted, then goes black and reappears.

Windows Version: I'm on Windows 10 Home 64bit, build 14393.321 (anniversary update).

The entire screen is working correctly during normal operations, no artifacts.

Replication of the problem
Initially I was able to replicate the problem with driver build 4360 (which is the driver version on the HP website). Everytime I loaded youtube home page and the banner started to play the screen went black sistematicly.
Then I've upgraded the GPU driver via device manager, which upgraded my GPU driver to 21.20.16.4494, dated 25th july 2016 and the problem was happening a lot more rarely.
Now I'm facing again this problem, but Edge works correctly and it isn't the cause of the problem, it can appears even when I'm not doing anything with PC.

I've noticed this issue appears when some energy saving options are enabled for the Intel GPU (I'm trying to traslate this to english because the GPU driver panel is in italian):

- panel self refresh;
- advanced energy saving mode;

If I turn off these options the problem doesn't appear or, better, for what I've tested till now it could not appears when the options aren't turned on, but I haven't tested this very long to be sure.

In my opinion there's a bug in the display driver, or some customizations made by HP causes some problems with the driver.
The rest of the computer is working correctly.
Any idea to fix this? Or I've to keep those energy saving options turned off?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your help.

I'm an IT enthusiast and ex IT professional, I'm familiar in investigating hardware/software issues, and hope this post will help some users getting rid of this problem.
The black screens and screen corruption was originated by energy saving option called  "Panel self refresh".
I've done many hours on battery (condition where this problem pop ups) in these days and the problem didn't show when it was turned off.
To check it I've tried to enable "Panel self refresh options" in some occasions and randomly at first boot of the machine (after being turned off) the problem popped it again.
It's definitely a problem with this energy saving option.
Now everything works good.
I'll post further infos if the problem will show again.
Thanks for your support.

I think it would be useful to stick this post on top in this forum section, to be helpful to other users and being more visibile.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi@andrewRG,

Welcome to HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Display settings causing issues. Is that right?

Thank you for sharing the issue details. I would like to help you.

I appreciate the effort you have put in finding the actual cause of the issue.

As you rightly said, the refresh rate for the screen is selected automatically from the best available option in the driver.

And I also recommend you try the Balanced power saving mode instead of the advanced power saving mode.

Any changes to be made for the power, use the power options for the display in control panel instead of the settings from display driver.

Hope this helps. Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your help.

I'm an IT enthusiast and ex IT professional, I'm familiar in investigating hardware/software issues, and hope this post will help some users getting rid of this problem.
The black screens and screen corruption was originated by energy saving option called  "Panel self refresh".
I've done many hours on battery (condition where this problem pop ups) in these days and the problem didn't show when it was turned off.
To check it I've tried to enable "Panel self refresh options" in some occasions and randomly at first boot of the machine (after being turned off) the problem popped it again.
It's definitely a problem with this energy saving option.
Now everything works good.
I'll post further infos if the problem will show again.
Thanks for your support.

I think it would be useful to stick this post on top in this forum section, to be helpful to other users and being more visibile.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.