Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook - 15-ae178ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I use my laptop with a second monitor (HP Pavillion 22xw) connected by HDMI. It was working fine until yesterday (including yesterday it worked), when an automatic HP upgrade message was shown informing that the system should be reinitiated. After that, my second monitor stopped working. The system won't identify it anymore. I've tried another cable, I've rebooted many times, I've tried updating the specific Intel Graphics driver, I've tried uninstalling it and installing manually another one ( I can't get this one done because when I'm running the manually downloaded driver there's a message saying I have to contact the manufacturer). Please advise as I need my second monitor to be fully functional!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @MAlex_B,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! The forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand that you are having an issue with the display, and wanted to assist you!  I see that after an update, the external monitor is no longer working.

Since this issue happened recently, have you tried performing a System Restore, to set the notebook back to its previous working state?  If that does not work, have you tried updating the Graphics, BIOS, and Chipset drivers directly from the HP site?  You can find drivers for you product here: Drivers - HP ENVY Notebook - 15-ae178ca

Please post back with the results.  Let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @MAlex_B,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! The forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand that you are having an issue with the display, and wanted to assist you!  I see that after an update, the external monitor is no longer working.

Since this issue happened recently, have you tried performing a System Restore, to set the notebook back to its previous working state?  If that does not work, have you tried updating the Graphics, BIOS, and Chipset drivers directly from the HP site?  You can find drivers for you product here: Drivers - HP ENVY Notebook - 15-ae178ca

Please post back with the results.  Let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

The drivers did not work, but I was able to gett help from the HP support by chat yesterday.

Athough it took too long for the technician to answer my chat request, what solved the problem for me was having my BIOS restored. That also took a lot more time than expected.

What solved my problem:

restoring the BIOS (what I did):

1. Computer off

2. when computer is off, press the Windows key + B at the same time

3. Press for 2 seconds the power key while holding the Windows Key + B at the same time

restoring the BIOS (full instructions on the HP support website):

Follow these steps to recover an earlier version of the BIOS on your notebook:
  1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.
  3. With the computer off, press and hold the Windows logo key and the B key at the same time.
  4. Still pressing those keys, press and hold down the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows and B keys until the BIOS update screen is displayed or until you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).
    The power LED light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds before anything appears on the display. You might also hear beeping sounds. Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins automatically.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.