Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I connect a USB Type-C to 4K HDMI Adapter (j5create) I receive from windows 10: 

Fix USB-C problems - Windows Help

Display connection might be limited

DisplayPort/MHL connection might not work. Try using a different cable.

I asked the j5create support, and I received: 

The JCA153G is considered plug and play, however it does require that your computer support a function called Display Port v1.2 through USB-C.
I suggest contacting the support of your laptop's manufacturer to make sure that your laptop can support DisplayPort v1.2 over USB-C. 

I talked with HP support, but they just said that I must check the user guide. I did it, but I found no information about the Displayport supported by the notebook. 

Can someone help me?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @Pcassim,

You're referring to this - correct?

Capture.PNG

Does the display output anything? That USB-C port is described as a USB Type-C (charging) port by manuals and a USB Basic Type-C in specification docs. This usually means that it charges other devices or provides data transfer, but doesn't do anything else.

Your best course of action would be to rely on something like a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter such as this and utilize the DisplayPort available on your computer.

Hope this helps,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

As @EddyK says, there is no mention of DisplayPort alternate mode support on the USB-C connector, so the chances are there is no DisplayPort functionality on the USB-C port which would stop the adapter you have from working.

This device has a DisplayPort with the ++D logo, which is an explicit statement that DisplayPort to HDMI adapters and cables will work (they usually work on all DisplayPorts, but it's always good to have that reassurance). Your best bet is, as @EddyK says, to use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable with that port.

HP Recommended

hello,

I have the same issue - the HDMI port on the Type-C hub device works for other notebook except Elitebook 840G3. Is it confirmed that the Type-C in 840G3 is purely for charging purposes with not other capabilities? If so, where is the disclamer stating this?

HP Recommended

On the specifications page:

Capture.PNG

USB-C is only a connector type - there is absolutely no guarantee of DisplayPort Alternate Mode, PD, etc.

Kind regards,

Eddy

HP Recommended

this is not correct, i have a UBS-C dock with 10 outputs. 

03 USB-3 ports working, TF/SD card readers working, RJ-45 connector is working

only HDMI, VGA and Audio connector is not working. 

this indicated there some kind of Drivers issue. 

HP Recommended

Hello @zee2a,

Only the USB 3 ports, SD card readers, and RJ-45 connector functions precisely because the USB-C port on the HP Elitebook 840 G3 only supports data transfer. 

The rest are not supported so it may be better to spend money on a dock which is less expensive and only has data transfer ports.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.